News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

08 on Jubilee

Started by Frank, January 18, 2009, 09:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Just landed today at 1pm.Got the main,jib on,sail covers on.repaired the jiffy reefing,dodger on,anchor on etc and went for dinner. I plan to use this thread not only as an port to port type, but to give observations on this winters cruise. After doing the above I dingied over and walked to my favorite lil bar. Guess the name...
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Sundowners......the sun sets across the bay.On the way I noticed a Cape Dory 30 pilot house...

Frank

Here are some observations from the bar....I walked in and Caroline (owner) and her husband said 'Hi Frank...nice to see you'...the local old rastifarion (sp?) saw me,came over to explain how short life is and although Christmas was a month ago it seems only 2 weeks.That we should enjoy life as it is SO short. Brendal the 60yr old dive master came in and greeted me.Willis came in and did the fancy handshake I screw up.There was a relatively young retired dentist that I had met a few years back ,who sold out...home.practice ..everything and made a consious choice (sp?) (rum is working) to simplify his life and enjoy it. As I sat there watching football...a tremendous sence of community came over me.These people did not care about national debt,the banking system or stockmarket.The wealthy sat with the poor...no one cared in this environment.All simply wanted a bit of company on this football night. I loved it. It reminded me of other cruises and how the 'standards' society has taught us at home simply have no meaning out here.How 'all are the same'  truly rules and everyone is much more in the moment.I'm off back to Jubilee...happy to be here and thankful for a great night with much more given to me than the people I talked to thought. More to come.

Pablo

That bar sounds great.  Just the though of walking anywhere without freezing off certain body parts sounds great.  But I would like to request that you fill in the newbies.  What is your plan? What kind of boat is Jubilee?
Paul

Lynx

Frank, Can I tell. Been there ;D
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

Thanks for taking the time Frank.

60?  No way.  I would have thought he was ~45.

Look forward to more.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for the photos and post Frank. :) Who were you rooting for???
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pappy Jack

Frank,

I had the same feeling in a bar called "The Dockside Lounge" in Marathon, Fl. 20 some years ago. There was a crazy cast of characters in that place I'm telling ya ::). I had one heck of a time in there and I don't even drink ;D.

Warm winds,

Pappy Jack

Frank

Its been WINDY !  I don't think its been below 20knts since monday.Cool too. Funny, while I was visiting a friend in Florida before coming over they blamed Canada for cold...here they say "we're getting Florida's cold air"  ;D Called home...it was only -24 last night which was warmer than the last while. I'll take this wearing a windbreaker and shorts with NO complaints. Off to Manjack tomorrow.

Lynx

How is Greet Turtle Black Water Sound?

I do miss the place?

Bluff House doing well?
MacGregor 26M

Frank

Bluff house and green turtle club are quiet...economy I guess. Black sound was full with the big winds but clearing out today as it finally layed down.Great to be back.

Frank

Sailed up to Manjack Cay this afternoon.Nice to be anchored here again.Got in just before sunset and had a nice , simple dinner.Beauty CD 33 anchored beside me. Off hiking tomorrow.

Frank

Pablo....NO plan.When the wind blows right I'll sail to Hopetown and  Little Harbour.Most likely stop at Man Of War (one of Lynx's hang outs last year)...May go to AllensPensacola too.Time and wind ?   Only plan is to see what I can and have fun. The boat is a Compac 25. Good lil boat for Bahamas.Only draws 2 1/2 ft and has 8 opening ports plus the forehatch. With care...a montgomery 15 could do this trip.

Frank

The best thing about cruising is the people ya meet.Yesterday around 3, Bill and Leslie came by the boat to see if I wanted to go for a ride on their 'Schucker (sp) 40' motor sailor.They have the home here with wifi.Aboard were a retired Swedish couple I met here about 5 yrs ago and run into often.They sail south in winters and about anywhere during summer.Last year they only stayed in Bahamas a short time and continued on though to south america and looped up to San Blas before heading north again.Saddly, they reported that cruise ships are now stopping at San Blas but that it is still beautiful with the friendliest people on earth.Neet folks. The retired couple on the Warren (sp) cat are here as well again.They built it themselves....lashed together, it is a unique craft.Even the rudders are lashed on.Fun just to sit and listen.It is the spontanious 'lets do its' that are fun and bring people together.  Thats Bill at the helm

Tim

Thanks Frank, I am finally getting over the jealousy thing again and being able to enjoy your posts  ;)
I think what gets me is that I realize I could be there also, just got to get my priorities straight, maybe next year. :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

;D ;D
Frank - that's probably a Wharram cat. James has designed them for over 50 years now. Different boats for sure, but safe, seaworthy cruisers

http://www.wharram.com/
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

You got it CJ. Neat boat. Went for a dingy ride and saw 3 sharks,one ray and flying fish.Seems better from dingy level.Pics are 1 ray and 1 shark. Flying fish are too fast for me ;D

Lynx

Good to see everything is doing well inthe Abacos.
MacGregor 26M

Frank

Yesterday 'Gerry', who'd been staying on the hard and afraid to launch as his wife was ill recieved good news and put in.Mid afternoon a cruiser from White sound came by to tell us of a 'pot luck cruisers get together'.It was fun.The 'moorings' cruisers in their pressed cloths and matching scarfs....the rest in wrinkled Tshirts and dirty shorts.I fell into the 'dirty and wrinkeld'  crowd  ;D It was fun to meet people ...some for the first time, others for the first time in years. Evert (who I'd always assumed was 'Everitt') was there on his boat.Hadn't seen him in years and he looked great....still thin,full head of hair with minimal grey and jogging daily....at  EIGHTY THREE .His daughter was along as crew this year.I first met him in Hopetown three years back.We both were singlehanding although his boat is a thirty two footer. He and his wife had been coming for over thirty years and were well recieved by the locals.She had died the year before and they were dedicating a display upstairs at the museum to her memory.So..there he was again last night,daughter along,singing and playing harmonica...very full of life.It felt great to see him again and even better to see how well he's been keeping. Hope he's still going at ninety nine.

Frank

I've been from Green Turtle to Manjack..back to Green Turtle and now Manjack again. Nothing to report other than the wind has finally laid down into the fifteen to twenty knot range. It's been cool too.No pics as a few days back all cruisers complained about a severely damp morning...the super dew type where everything is soaked and water runs off the bimini even thow it didn't rain., Since that morning...my camera hasn't worked right,my pocket calculator's numbers don't all work and only two of my ten numbers on the laptop come up when ya hit the key.Guess everything got too damp.I stow the laptop etc. in a huge zip-lock while in the dingy but I guess it will start living there at all times when not in use. Hope we get some warm sunshine soon.   PS..Faith and Lynx..I'm having fresh raison bread from Sid's store tonight  ;D