News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Miami Beach Mini Guide

Started by Adam, January 19, 2006, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I also posted this on my "home board" but I'd like to share it here too. Some of you may not visit that board.

If you're going to cross over from Miami, here's a nice place to provision and wait for a weather window. I'll try to make a better map of what's there, but basically EVERYTHING is within a few blocks. Here is why I like this anchorage. First, right up the canal is a nice secure place to tie up your dinghy, and you can lock up your bicycle there too. If you continue up the canal in your dinghy, you can lock your dinghy up right across the street from Publix and a gas station (I'm pretty sure they also have diesel).

Also, just on the north side of the Venetian causeway, there's a public dock with a faucet where you can fill water jugs without even taking them out of your dinghy.

First, the chart:

A - a nice protected place to anchor. I was able to get in and out of here drawing about 5 1/2' with no problem. If you draw more, you can anchor on the north side of Belle Isle. You can't miss it, there's always quite a few boats out there. There's good holding on both sides of Belle Isle. You can easily dinghy under the bridges. Also, if you have kids, Monument Island is a fun place to take them (or even just go have a picnic)... Everything is easily within walking distance, or the bus (nice and clean and easy) stops at the corner of Alton and Lincoln. Big cinema right there too.

B - This is the Main Channel. It's usuable only if there is one or fewer cruise ships in port. Otherwise, you need to use the Fishermans Channel.

C - Fishermans Channel. Another convenient way out. Be careful of tidal currents off of Fisher Island. Nothing to be scared of, but be cautious.

Below is a little more detail about where to dock your dinghy and a few convenient businesses. There's a number of laundromats on Alton Road (the vertical yellow line, the name is obscured). Basically, the whole area has banks, post office, stores, restaurants, hardware stores, electronic stores, etc... There's even a printer cartridge recharging place on Lincoln across from the internet/copier store. You can easily dinghy under the bridges. Also, if you have kids, Monument Island is a fun place to take them (or even just go have a picnic)... Everything is easily within walking distance, or the bus (nice and clean and easy) runs stops at the corner of Alton and Lincoln. Don't miss the dollar stores on Alton. They're great places to replace lost/damaged cooking utensils or get some cheap t-shirts, tools, or sunglasses!

Feel free to ask more specific questions, I'll answer whatever I can!

Adam

Captain Smollett

Thanks Adam!  That's some good 'local knowledge.'  I used to live in Hollywood and worked in Miami, but did not have a boat at the time.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Great post and post idea, Adam! (+ karma for you :) )

I think I'll be using this info next winter. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

Thanks for the info Adam.  I printed it out and put it in my Planning Folder.  I will need this info next winter :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2