LiveAboard Marinas On Gulf Coast?

Started by Cpt2Be, August 23, 2009, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grime

Not many slips left a Nautical Landing. Might give Jim a call. If you need the number I'll be happy to PM you it. I keep my boat there. There seems to be a number of boats for sale over in Rockport and C.C.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

nowell

Hey, sorry I haven't been around much. Busy summer. I was in a Marina in Galveston until Ike decided to re-decorate. Your not going to find much in that area. Still waiting lists in most of the marinas, and has been a bit of a push to cater to anything 30' and over. You can still find things but, its not easy.

If your willing to go down south a bit more, you can look in my area around Freeport. Kirby Marina is nice and was just under 100/mo including water. They even re-did alot of their facilities. The staff is great. Only downside, its up Oyster Creek, which at low tide can be ... intresting. I only draw 4 feet and dug in good trying to beat the tide in one day. If your good with your planning however, its a great, sheltered marina.

I stay at Bridge Harbor Yacht Club in Freeport, its 175 a month, water included. Its not bad either. Mingo is the dockmaster and a great guy. Its probably the most popular marina in that area, so you will see alot of nice boats pass through. They obviously have the money for MUCH nicer facilities.

Truth be told, I like the quiet solitude, and would like to be in Kirby, but, I just don't like being held to the tide schedule to go come and go. Both marina's are ~10 mins from the Gulf (maybe a little longer to clear the jetties), and right on the ICW.

Each Marina puts you about an hour away from downtown Houston. Freeport is a small city, lots of chemical plants, and country boys. Kirby being more isolated.

Hope this info helps, if you need any specifics feel free to ask. Both marina's have web sites. There are a few other marina's in the area, but tend to be temporary or yard storage.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Lynx

There is a place in Key West where you can work on your boat on land and stay in it. I beleive it is Old Island Marina. I did not check prices but it should be more than $ 700 per month.. A lot of liveaboard spaces here in Key West and in the Keys. Most do not mind you doing work. Let me know if you need more info.

Please check out if you need to buy supplies from the marina. Some you have to.
MacGregor 26M