Florida Big Bend Local Knowledge?

Started by MikeTurner, January 31, 2010, 10:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTurner

My wife and I are planning to move our Lazyjack 32 schooner from Hudson, FL to Mobile Bay. I'm looking for some local knowledge on the route, particularly Florida's Big Bend. We're planning to stick close to the coast in 30-40 mile legs per day - we don't want to do the direct sail to Carrabelle due to our limited over nighting experience.

I've got all the charts and Young's and Rhodes' cruising guides; what I'm most interested in are any locations to avoid do to hazards, particularly depths, rocks and currents. The boat draws 2'10" with the centerboard up so we've got some options that deeper draft boats might not have. I'll have the tide tables for locations along the route. We hope to do some nights on the hook and some at marinas.

The tentative route, with alternates in parentheses, is:

- Hudson to Withlacoochee (alternates Homosassa River, Crystal River)
- Withlacoochee to Cedar Keys
- Cedar Keys to Steinhatchee (alternate Suwannee River)
- Steinhatchee to St Marks
- St Marks to Carrabelle (alternate Dog Island)
- Carrabelle to Apalachicola

At Apalachicola we'll enter the ICW and go on to Panama City, Fort Walton Beach, Pensacola, Pirates Cove/Ingram Bayou and home.

Any suggestions for locations not mentioned are also appreciated. I want to be prepared with basic information for alternates all along the route in case of weather, mechanical or other problems. We have about 3 weeks available to make the trip which should be more than enough.

Thanks in advance!
Mike Turner
Rob Roy 23 yawl "Fiddlestix"
Mobile Bay, Alabama

Lars

Mike i've done that trip offshore and in day trips.. my advice is go offshore leave anclote for dog island. you should be able to make that in about 30 hours. coasting is great and the gunkholers guide will tell you everything you need. there is a lot of skinny water out there and it sticks out a long ways fom the coast ... and crabpots  MANNY MANNY CRABPOTS..good piloting is what you'll need .. with 2'10' you should have no problems  even in suwanee  see me at the panama city marina when you come through