News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

On to Beaufort

Started by Mario G, March 31, 2010, 07:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

The 1st mate and I will be heading to Beaufort , leaving Cypress Cove marina Friday.  With temps projected in the 80* range this weekend its going to be more a kickback cruise with no push on just getting there.  I think were both better prepared and really ready to get out and enjoy.  
Our route will be the Pamico sound all the way around.

s/v Faith

Best of luck to you and your crew Mario!

Hope you have a great trip!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Hi Mario,

In the spirit of giving us something akin to a 'float plan,' could we trouble you to post some more detail on your route?

For example, how are you planning to go from the Albemarle down to the Pamlico?  Are you sailing down Croatan Sound, via the Alligator River or down Roanoke Sound?

What is your planned route from the Pamlico to Beaufort?  I assume you are going through Adam's Creek to the Newport River.  Did you get your engine running more reliably in case you hit light or unfavorable wind through the canal?

Also, one more point, just in case.  Though the main channel around Beaufort is reliable, some of the smaller "shortcut" channels off the Newport River have shoaled - they are NOT reliable and the charted depths are not current.

Tidal currents on the Newport River approaching Morehead City can be pretty wicked, and since depths outside the channel are shallow, you DO have to watch for the current pushing you out of the channel.

Hope you have a good trip..the weather looks more like "cruising weather" than your last run.  

Fair Winds,

JR
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Mario G

I have the engine starting on the first pull and running very smooth so that's all taken care of, as far as route we were planning on the Alligator river then down thru Adams creek unless you think the outer passage thru Croatan sound would be better? 

I will call you when we are close And will give you the whole story of the last cruise.

The weather looks like it will be perfect and I'm afraid if everything doesn't go well there will be muntiny abroad... (again)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Mario G on April 02, 2010, 05:22:52 AM

I have the engine starting on the first pull and running very smooth so that's all taken care of, as far as route we were planning on the Alligator river then down thru Adams creek unless you think the outer passage thru Croatan sound would be better? 

No, I think the route you mention would be the preferred route, especially if you have your engine running better.

Either way, have a good trip.  Look forward to hearing about it.

Regards,

JR
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

Just talked to Mario, and they are getting ready to head out.  Beautiful weather here this weekend.  They could not have picked a better few days to cruise down Eastern NC.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Mario called today.  They are having fun.  At the time they called, they were near the mouth of the Alligator River.  Sailing has been good with favorable wind.

Still having some ob issues, but doing fine so far.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Mario G

I want to start off by Thanking Capt Smollett and crew for there help.

No we didn't make our destination due to both rigging and propeller problems but did have another great time just out cruising.

This is the only the 2ND time sailing this boat and considering everything we have dealt with we are very happy with our Chrysler C-26

We sailed the Albemare sound even at night ,up and down the Alligator river,down the Croatan soundand back up and around Roanoke island to dock in  Sallowbag bay.   

The experience we gained from learning I can get up and down  the mast 6 times before figuring out that having a mast that's is also meant to drop easy is a nice.
And don't question having the wife meeting some guy  in some motel at night for a much new propeller.   ;D 

I will back at the boat next weekend to drop and repair the rigging so that the adventure can continue.