News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Galley placement?

Started by SeaHusky, December 11, 2011, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

In every Scandinavian boat I can think of the galley is placed at the rear bulkhead on either or both sides of the companionway. The idea, I believe, is to maximize ventilation and to allow for the cook to stand in the hatch even if the boat doesn't have standing headroom. On the other hand, most British and American boats seem to have the galley placed far forward by the mastsupport bulkhead, with or without standing headroom.
Which do you prefer and why?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

skylark

My Canadian built boat has the galley starboard aft and that is where I prefer it.

I have not seen many boats where it is forward.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Capt. Tony

There are many examples out there of both galley arrangments.  I wrestled with both concepts while trying to decide what to do with our rebuild.  For smaller boats you are really limited on options.  On our small boat it came down to workin around, "where is the head going" and,"how important are the quarter berths."  Ultimately we chose an aft galley under the main companionway.

I did read a little tidbit that addressed port vs. starboard galleys.  The author stated that with a port galley you can heave-to on a starboard tack making you the stand on vessel* while you go below to make a pot of tea or what have you.  And when doing so your galley will be down hill from you adding a margin of saftey.**

*of course this depends on other captains recognizing the situation and responding appropriately according to colregs.  It does not always give you the unmitigated "right of way".
**the author did not factor in the culinary disasters lying in wait.

Oldrig

Quote from: skylark on December 11, 2011, 05:14:12 PM
My Canadian built boat has the galley starboard aft and that is where I prefer it.

My American (Swedish-American designer) boat has the galley, such as it is, port aft. I believe that is so you can cook while on a starboard tack, holding the right of way.

I would prefer more galley space, but would keep the galley port aft as it is.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

marujo_sortudo

Aft, certainly.  Too much pitching forward in a seaway and ventilation options aft in foul weather seem much better.  Port's good, but I've got starboard and wouldn't want to find the day where it would make a differrence.  All that said, every boat involves its own set of design trade offs, hence no fast rule.

rorik

On my CD 28, sink & icebox are starboard aft and 2 burner cooktop to port. It can be a bit damp in winter, coming in from the rain and stepping on the counter, but in summer the heat from cooking is not trapped inside as it might be if the galley were forward. There is also more room for a larger ice box with more of it below the waterline where here, in the PNW, the water is cooler. And if something starts to burn, it's an easy toss out the hatch. 
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

s/v Faith

Better think about using it while healed hard to either side... holding on for dear life....

The more boats I sail the more I like Faith.  :)  Her sea swing hung where I can get to it from the cockpit is (IMHO) the nearly perfect set up.

I like my boat.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera