Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

NC/SC DIY Boatyards

Started by Captain Smollett, September 04, 2010, 08:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quote from: bladedancer

Meanwhile, where's a good DIY yard in NC or SC? Need to clean and paint LM's bottom  and check the rigging. Would much rather hope its just fine, but like the Arabs say " pray to Allah, but make sure your camel is well tethered"

Ones I have either direct experience with or have researched for my upcoming haul-out:

• Hurricane Boatyard:  In middle North Carolina, this is currently my #1 choice; located in Bayboro, the rates are excellent and this is a working yard with a hands-off approach to the DIY-er.

If you are only painting and are pretty sure you won't need 'easy' access to a marine store (like West Marine), this is a good choice.  However, if you DO think you may need to make a run (or six) to the store for bits and parts and the like, this one is trickier.  WM is about 45 minute drive each way, and there are not very many 'amenities' in Bayboro at all.  There are some local 'Mom n Pop' places, and I think there is a 'marine sports' store just a few minute drive away, but I have no idea how well stocked they are.

From Chart 11552, Hurricane is about 10.5 miles up the Bay River from the ICW (just south of Hobucken); on this chart, Hurricane is about where the small text "Bay River" is between "Stonewall" and "Bayboro" that I've marked with a red dot:

• Duck Creek:  This is a popular choice around here (we are 20 miles up the Neuse River from the ICW, so off the beaten path a little bit) with a good yard.  MUCH closer to 'town' than Hurricane, too, Duck Creek DOES allow DIY, but they told me of some rather restrictive rules regarding sanding equipment.  You HAVE to have vacuum attachments (not just dust bags); not sure how much they enforce it, though.

Getting in there is a bit tricky; if you decide to go there, PM or Email me and I will give you the tricks.  Lots of folks run aground at the entrance.

Also from Chart 11552, Duck Creek is just across the Neuse River from New Bern, NC. New Bern has almost all amenities you would want and easy access to West Marine as well as locally owned hardware stores that carry some marine gear.  Red Dot marks the spot:

• Bock Marine:  If you are looking for a place RIGHT ON the ICW or pretty easy access from the ocean (via Beaufort Inlet), Bock's is a pretty large working yard.  If your boat is under about 50 feet, you'll be dwarfed by the boats in that yard (they haul some BIG boats), but the rates are okay and they are also VERY popular.  A friend of mine had his foremast replaced there last year (46 ft schooner), so they can certainly handle some pretty big jobs.

Bock is only a few minute drive from Beaufort/Morehead City, so if you need it, you'll be able to find it, including custom prop machining and stuff like that.  The web site linked above has directions, and if you are on the ICW between the Neuse River and Beaufort, you really cannot miss Bock's.

• Moving down to South Carolina, I hauled at Hazzard Marine in Georgetown.  Also pretty much right on the ICW (okay, one mile up the Sampit River from the ICW), Hazzard's is a professional yard that caters largely to the commercial fishing boats in the area but with plenty of room and the right attitude for smaller recreational boaters.  Rates are okay.

Georgetown is a neat little town, and this is the only yard on my list that you can easily walk to just about anything you need or want; there are local shops that have marine gear, but the selection may be a bit limited.  The nearest West Marine is about a 45 minute drive away, so keep that in mind if you are planning more 'involved' repairs during your haul-out.

I deliberately left off NC yards south of me, since others can mention them with more specific, direct experience.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

bladedancer

Captain Smollett, Many thanks for the information on DIY yards.
Wish I could do the bottom here [Brooklyn, NY] before leaving but the local yards don't allow this claiming environmental regulations require trained and certified bottom painters. Would be fine with me if they actually followed the regulations [tarps under the boat for example] and didn't assign the job to the immigrant peon who worked without gloves or mask. I suspect paint was thinned, or stretched, certainly didn't get two coats specified and paid for. So a racket but I have learned the hard way not to go up against our local mafias.

bladedancer

We hauled out at Hurricane boatyard and would recommend it to anyone. We were in and out in four days because all we needed to do was clean and paint the bottom but it would be a good place for someone with work to do.  Haulout was $5.50 a foot which was reasonable but you pay for a month on the hard not by the day or week. And you can DIY. People who own place are great as are yard workers.
The Bay river is beautiful, the boatyard is in the country; it's quiet. The stores -grocery, hardware/lumber, small marine store- are too far to walk to but we got rides whenever we needed.

Maikel, s/v Louise Michel

Mario G

Charleston City boat  yard seemed like a geat place with a very friendly staff. We did not stay long but talk to a few customers that talked good things about the privalige of the place.