New Bahamas Cruiser

Started by Frank, October 25, 2011, 03:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Stopped to see my buddies at Compac last spring. An old friend that lives close by had interest in a suncat. While there....Gerry had a mock-up of the new 23 pilot house. A quick review and I made a deal. Figure with standing headroom, inside/outside steering, lil twin cylinder diesel, standing-private head etc etc and only 2ft 3in draft it would be a perfect Bahamas cruiser.
I have no expectations of crossing big oceans or pointing high...just a great overall set of compromises. Steer inside in the rain, coffee with a 360 degree view on a wet/cold morning and gunk holing into shallow places are what appeals to me after a few trawler trips. Realizing I'd miss a sail made this seem near perfect.
I added a footpump at the sink, full cockpit enclosure, a built in solar panel, extra cooler and engine insulation to make it a better cruiser.
It's finished, but I won't get it until I get outta here sometime in December.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Frank

pics...panel mounted to bimini frame plus one thats movable

Frank

pics...had to get a ships wheel for looks  ;-)

Frank

filler boards and cushions for nice nights in the cockpit

Frank

interior (not mine...but the same cushions)

Frank

Chattcatdaddy

Its kinda ugly and beautiful at the same time. ;D Compac builds quality boats and i`m sure it will make a great mini-cruiser. Congrats on your purchase.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Mario G

Congrats Frank I read the write up in Latitudes & Attitudes and the 1st mate and I both agree its a nice boat.
See you in the Bahammas

Jim_ME

Tim

"You be stylin'" going to be the envy of your neighbor hood down there
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

doug

We admired the craft at the Annapolis show. 

Frank

yep...ugly and beautiful at the same time  ;) :D ;D :o   Great set of compromises. Looking forward to gunkholing on it.

Frank

There's a lil back cut at Manjack....almost like a creek. Can't wait for a windy day to anchor back there in the shallows, protected by mangroves, sitting inside, watching the fish swim by and not caring about the weather....all in 3ft of water. Hoping that scenario repeats itself in many places   ;D

boblamb

Congratulations on the new little ship, Frank.  I saw the boat at the factory just before sea trials and see it regularly at the Clearwater Marina.  She's a beauty!  No "ugly" at all.

Green with envy
BobL
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

ntica

Nice little ship. great interior. Wish I was in Bahamas...

Oldrig

Frank,

She looks like a comfy cruiser--almost a mini-motorsailer. Should be great for voyaging. Congratulations!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

Thanks for the comments gang. It truly is a "mini motor sailor".  After a few Desolation Sound (west coast of Vancouver)cruises on a trawler, I was sold on the idea of inside steering and a coffee with 360 degree view...with heat if needed  ;)  But...like most here, I'd sure miss sailing. This otta fill the needs pretty well.  I'll keep the group posted once I get sailing her.

Frank

s/v Faith

I think that it is beautiful.

If you need a 'test pilot' to try it out Frank, I could probably find one for you.  ;D

Sitting on the hook in the midst of a rainy day swinging on a Manson Supreme as a cold front clocks through... drinking a cup of coffee and reading a book on a February day at Allens-Pensacola... that full cockpit enclosure would be a wonderful thing indeed!

I am sure you will find her to be all that you had hoped for.  Glad you took the plunge, look forward to hearing all about it!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.