News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

High cost Portlights

Started by mike_kelly, October 31, 2012, 06:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_kelly

are not in my budget. I am going to replace me crazed 40 year old plex portlights with the typical two inch bigger- bolt right thru with new plex or lexan with a bit of butyl tape. But, I feel I need opening portlights for my Vberth in order to breath. So i found these units custom made for an aluminum flush yacht company being surplused out. I plan to use them like the simple lexan replacements above. Flip them over and use them on the outside bolted thru.

Short of the inconvenience of opening and closing is there any reason why this won't work?

Cheers

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Do I undertsand you correctly, you're going to install them with the dog catches on the outside?
If so I can think of a couple reasons not to.
*PIA to open & close the portlights
*Just one more thing for your sheets to catch on & possibly rip the catches off.
*A couple of decent waves over the bow could release the catches & ventilate the v-berth for you when it's least needed.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

CharlieJ

Mike- look here

http://www.beckson.com/bronzeandsilver.html

This is the Beckson portlight section of their website. It's got over stock and surplus. Always changing, and pretty cheap. $100 ports for 40

DON'T put the port on the outside.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

gregorygraham

I agree with misfits, adding anything to your foredeck that will catch a sheet is ill-advised.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Sailing Vessel "Magy Mae"

mike_kelly

Thanks for the link Charlie.
Since I am only replacing the two portlights in the very front of the cabin I don't think it would interfere with the sheets. Also since water crashing over the foredeck would tend to force the window to stay closed rather than open it seems that would be ok. The portlights don't spring open when un-dogged.

So I appreciate the comments but I think I'll give it a try.

CharlieJ

Well,, as a long time sailor, and retired boatbuilder, I'd sure not put those outside
if for no other reason than they'll be tough to open and close, if, fer instance, a sudden rain storm at 0230. If outside, ya gotta go out to close them- gonna get WET!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Not to mention that "rain drains" on those portlights won't do any good on the inside. ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

At risk of being a naysayer...  I would agree not to put them outside as the screws that hold the latches will likely rust and the latch hardware will likely degrade in the sun rapidly....

Why not put them inside as designed?

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

mike_kelly

The hardware is a good point. I'm going to try and reverse it (well add inside controls) so they open from the inside, if I can do it and keep the pivot sealed. But I'll replace the hardware if it is not stainless.