Sailing far: Single handed from Boston to Puerto Rico

Started by Chappy, February 07, 2013, 09:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappy

On Oct.  1 I left Marblehead Mass and headed south on my 24' Eastward Ho for my  first (real) long distance single handed adventure. After two hurricanes including taking a direct hit and riding out Sandy in Brick NJ, a Nor'Easter, running more than high and dry in the icw, a wild month in Charleston I made a 1400 mile jump to Puerto Rico...Kicking off a several year adventure.

In reality I am proud of myself.But wanted to share with liked minded sailors.

You can view my blog detailing one wild adventure at chappygoes.blogspot.com and view pictures on face book http://www.facebook.com/james.munsey.5

Travelnik

Sounds like a great adventure. I'll be following your blog (I don't do FB).
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

It was nice to read about your adventure on this very snowy NH morning !
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Kettlewell

Very nice! Made the run from Beaufort, NC, to Puerto Rico a long time ago and also got kicked with a frontal passage and a big gale. I look forward to hearing what PR is like these days.  How's the wind this winter?

Bill NH

Enjoyable read, thanks for taking the time to share!

FYI, what you did when the weather was nasty was called "heaving to", backing the jib and putting the helm down.  "Lying ahull" is taking in all sail and letting the vessel lie to the seas as she wishes, usually beam on...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...