News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Seafaring quotes

Started by Frank, December 16, 2013, 07:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCrosby

"Well, when you leave to sail around the world, you don't have to do it all at once. A big trip is really just a bunch of small trips put together. You just have to make it to the next port, fix what's broken, make it to the next port, fix what's broken and so on.?

Emily Richmond, When asked, ?how prepared was she, when she departed on her trip.?

w00dy

?A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.?
- Robert Heinlein

CharlieJ

Lazarus Long in "Time enough for Love"
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

"My boat is the safe where I store my money."

--Author Unknown
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

Quote from: Captain Smollett on June 08, 2015, 02:04:43 PM

--Author Unknown
LOL and those of us really obsessed spread it around 
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

That's right... We convert it all to gold bullion and hide it down in the bilge where it will do the most good as ballast...  :)

SailorTom

Quote from: Jim_ME on June 08, 2015, 04:08:03 PM
That's right... We convert it all to gold bullion and hide it down in the bilge where it will do the most good as ballast...  :)
Oh man it would be sweet to have 48000oz of gold to replace my lead keel! Not only 1% rich but get some extra space in the bilge and better righting moment! The stuff dreams are made of ;D
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

SeaHusky

Quote from: Captain Smollett on June 08, 2015, 02:04:43 PM

--Author Unknown
True, but on a more serious note, if the economy crashes a well kept, equipped and supplied boat, (paid with cash not credit) is even better than real estate as you are able live, eat and move to a place where you may have better chances of earning a lively hood.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Sooner

cruising sailors make lists like stagnant water makes mosquitoes
Reese Palley
Hunter 23 little Sooner Central Texas trailer sailor
Cape Dory 27 Sharryn Freeport Texas
Youth is not needed....just wonderlust!  Keep going...have "wide eyes"...enjoy the moments. Frank

Captain Smollett

Quote from: SeaHusky on June 09, 2015, 04:46:33 AM

if the economy crashes a well kept, equipped and supplied boat, (paid with cash not credit) is even better than real estate as you are able live, eat and move to a place where you may have better chances of earning a lively hood.

Grog for that.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain