Heading for Washington DC to do a delivery of a Flicka

Started by CharlieJ, March 30, 2014, 11:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Friday AM I'll be leaving Houston  heading for DC.. A friend has asked me to help run his new to him Flicka from Wilmington NC, up to Washington.

It's currently on the hard on the Cape Fear River in Wilmington. Next Monday, the 7th, we'll rig out, and launch the boat, take on provisions and once all systems are go, head down river. Likely be 8th or 9th.

Plan is to enter the ICW via Snow's Cut at Carolina Beach, and head north. Don't really have any stops locked in other than I'm pretty sure we'll hit Beaufort (NC) and Oriental. And of course, Norfolk. We'll do the Great Bridge route- quicker and at 5 MPH. Dismal Swamp gets boring fast ;D

Figuring on about 10 days for the trip if all goes well. Maybe I can meet some of you along the way. Already talked to Smollet :D

Kurt- I'll be driving back through Georgetown going home, because I plan to hit Jacksonville and visit son, grand kids and GREAT grand kids (two of which are brand new ;) ) so plan on a rum with me :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Sounds like good trip. I'm looking forward to getting down to that area sometime myself. And to visit Washington DC with my Dad, so that he can see the WWII Memorial in person. I was lucky to see it just about 10 years ago, just a few weeks before it was dedicated and opened. Interesting to see how the design is integrated into the Mall, yet kept low with the columns off to the sides so as not to block any of the site lines of the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, etc.

After many unfulfilled forecasts, Spring seems to have finally arrived here in the Northeast. It's been a balmy mid to high 40s the past few days and is forecast to break 50 next week. Yikes!  :D

Congrats on the new great-grand kids.  :)

Captain Smollett

*A* rum with the Capn? CJ, I think you've been hitting the rum already!  ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

A rum with Kurt....impossible!!! Several rums maybe.....and tell him to put his camera away  ;D
Have fun on the Flicka!!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

A reschedule due to the owner- all pushed back ONE week.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cruiser2B

I'd like to meet you and see the Flicka. I am very close to many spots near Hampton Roads, Great Bridge Locks, hospital point, waterside in Norfolk, and Little Creek Inlet to name a few. Little Creek is where I keep my Alberg.  keep us posted on your progress. If you need anything I could offer you guys a ride to just about anywhere in the area.

Safe Travels
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

CharlieJ

I'll try to keep progress reports going on here, as I can, and will see about meeting somewhere at one of those spots.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

Depending on when you arrive I might be able to see you in DC. I'm out of town April 17-21, though.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Captain Smollett

Charlie, I was thinking about maybe catching up with you on the trailer boat for a leg (or two), maybe something like the run from Oriental to Belhaven or perhaps across Albemarle Sound.

May have to see how it works out time and weather wise.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

May our paths cross again soon buy friend.  Maybe we will share an anchorage? I am heading the other way right now.

We will need to watch each others progress.  Of course you can see mine on SpOt.

Edited to add;

Link Sauce for Sailing Faith Spot Messenger page (only shows the last 7 days).
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Mario G

Hey Charlie we are making our way north and depending on the weather for the both of us, hope we can meet up.

CharlieJ

Sorry- not gonna happen. Sale and trip got canceled. Seller added some conditions, buyer didn't like, and backed out.  So I'm back home.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

That's a bummer, Charlie. Seemed like you were looking forward to it.

w00dy

Well, shucks Charlie. I guess you'll just have to come over and help me work on this big bottle of coconut rum instead!

CapnK

Bummer! I know you were looking forward to that trip - or at least, I bet you were, because I would have been... :D If I were you...

...I'd go help w00dy with that rum! ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Quote from: w00dy on April 19, 2014, 10:02:01 PM
Well, shucks Charlie. I guess you'll just have to come over and help me work on this big bottle of coconut rum instead!

Tomorrow night? I'm working on some Myers dark tonight
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Quote from: CapnK on April 19, 2014, 10:36:33 PM
Bummer! I know you were looking forward to that trip - or at least, I bet you were, because I would have been... :D If I were you...

...I'd go help w00dy with that rum! ;D

Yeah, I was. Because on the way home I planned to hit YOUR rum stash, Visit Charlie and Isy, visit my kid in Jax, and visit Jeff and Janice in La. Plus Smollet, and B and B

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera