News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Moosehead Lake Maine

Started by Frank, June 23, 2014, 04:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

"Twuz the night before cruising and I couldn't sleep"  :)  I guess I'm kinda excited to get going. Up at 4 and should be on the road by 4:30, I'll be trailering my lil Suncat to Moosehead lake today for a 11 day getaway. This will be trip #3 there and although its a 500+ mile trip each way...It's worth it. truly a simply beautiful lake with lots of history. Yep...I'll take pictures.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Have Fun, looking forward to the photos.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Sooner

Have a great time Frank - and thanks for the size info on the 965.  Grog 2 ya.
jim
Hunter 23 little Sooner Central Texas trailer sailor
Cape Dory 27 Sharryn Freeport Texas
Youth is not needed....just wonderlust!  Keep going...have "wide eyes"...enjoy the moments. Frank

s/v Faith

Posting from off shore, Clearwater Florida...

Enjoy your cruise frank!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Posting from off shore, Clearwater Florida...

Enjoy your cruise frank!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Jim_ME

I heard a news story this morning and found this article about it...

..."a new National Park and National Recreation Area on an area of about 150,000 acres of forestland east of Baxter State Park"

..."The land includes spectacular views of Mount Katahdin, about 25 miles of the East Branch of the Penobscot River, including four spectacular rapids and falls, the lower reaches of Wassataquoik Stream, which flows out of Baxter State Park, the lower reaches of the Sebois River, and several beautiful ponds. It is home to moose, bear, lynx, and many bird species."

Good to see some additional efforts to preserve more of this scenic natural region.

Fair winds!

Frank

Jim...great to know another 150,000 acres is being saved! That is simply beautiful country side! The drive there and home is about 11 hours each way for me, but it was actually quite nice as the views are amazing both through lower Quebec and Maine. I try to make it an enjoyable part of the getaway. I had to replace both wheel bearings before leaving. I guess the 100's of miles I've trailered caught up on the old ones. Geez I love Moosehead Lake! 30miles long x 12 miles wide and a most interesting body of water with countless bays and islands...all surrounded by mountains. Forget moose....the loons are amazing...both plentiful and extremely vocal. Listening to them late at night or early in the morning just never gets "old". The ramp at Greenville is great. I'm having trouble resizing pictures...more later

Frank

The lake itself is amazing and there is often good wind. This was my 3rd trip and each has had hot sunny days, windy days and rain. Ya gotta prepare for it all.

Frank

The view of Greenville from the water and from atop the hill looking down at the southern bay. The lake is huge with multiple open stretch's not seen in these pics.

Frank

This shows an open section sailing towards Kineo...a 750ft flint rock. Thoreau climbed it in the 1850's....I doubt the lake looks much different today. Islands abound.

Frank

Mt Kineo is an imposing structure to sail by.

Frank

There were a few rain days forecast so I tied up in town next to the Katadhin...a restored 100yr old beauty!

Frank

I was honored to be on it's 1st tour of the season on her 100th birthday year and more honored to have the Captain allow me to take the helm of this 200ton classic. No hydraulics here...the massive wheel turns huge cables.....she is a handful!

Frank

There was an abundance of ducks, geese and loons everywhere. I love my dodger and roll up sunshade. Wind, rain or sun...they help make a small boat comfortable.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Nice pictures of a nice place!
It would be great to spend a whole summer ghosting along that place.
Oh yea, 4th of July has come & gone. Best to get ready for winter :)
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Tim

Great report Frank, looks gorgeous, one of these days I have to get out there. I did a little sailing on Tomales Bay out here for my birthday day before yesterday.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Nice birthday!!  29 again??

Tim

Nah, this is the one that makes me officially retired  ;)

W.A. Ward

Frank

That could be anywhere from 45 to70   :D

w00dy

Back in 2007, I hiked south from Baxter park and recall sitting by a road, overlooking a large, long lake. I may be mistaking it for another lake, but I'm pretty sure I remember looking out over Moosehead at some point. It's probably the most beautiful country I've ever been in. Here's a grog for bringing back a beautiful memory  :)