News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Electronic and laser flares

Started by SeaHusky, October 16, 2014, 04:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

I have some outdated flares from my kayaking trips and need to get the appropriate safety equipment for my boat.
I have had a quick look around and found that electronics and especially laser are a growing market and at first glance this seems to be a good alternative to pyrotechnics. Cheaper, non expiring and possibly better performance.
I find lasers especially interesting as they are visible at a long range and work for hours instead of minutes/seconds.
Green lasers have even greater range than red but firstly red is the natural distress colour and more importantly, if a SAR helicopter crew are flashed with a green laser they are to abort their mission immediately and return to base where they are grounded until they have had an eye exam.
Does anyone have any knowledge or better yet experience  and what is your opinion on this subject?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Tim

Interesting, but I know nothing about lasers, but I do remember having to go back into the palapa for another margarita after seeing a green flash at sunset. ;D 8)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

except that "in date" flares are a requirement for Coast Guard inspections. So get some new ones
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Quote from: CharlieJ on October 16, 2014, 09:33:43 AM
except that "in date" flares are a requirement for Coast Guard inspections. So get some new ones
Good Point although that depends on which country you are in.
But even with in date flares, a reoccurring theme of many accounts of people in liferafts seems to be firing flare after flare at a passing ship without being spotted and rather quickly running out of flares.
Having an electronic device in the grab bag with several hours of battery life seems a good addition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRrnjC6rDw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47hFJBsMZA

Tim

After viewing the Youtube, I am intrigued as it does seem to be a better way to go.

Unfortunately at this point one would still have to carry flares to meet CG regulations
QuoteIs the Odeo Flare accepted under SOLAS regulations as an alternative to the hand held flare? Not yet. However, the Odeo Flare makes a recognised distress signal as described in Annex 4 to the International Rules For The Prevention Of collisions At Sea (Colregs). Until SOLAS rules are change, coded and commercial vessels must still carry pyrotechnic flares.

Fairly pricey at $185 here in the states, but bound to come down if accepted and distributed widely.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

SeaHusky