News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fall 2015

Started by Jim_ME, October 18, 2015, 03:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

A couple photos from October in Maine...the end of the local season...

A great year for apples, at least...  :)

Captain Smollett

Apples!

I "put up" a few half-pints of apple butter just a couple of days ago...fresh from the orchard in the mountains here.

Tis that time of year...gonna make some cider tomorrow from what the remains of the batch.

Oh yeah, sailing stories...I've missed some GORGEOUS sailing days here this past week.  Prime time for sure, and I've been ashore. 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Jim_ME

I think that makes it conclusive then, John...

Tim wrote about his Ariel being "glued to the trailer"...hmm...my Corinthian...Frank's Electra and your A30...

Clearly this is evidence of some kind of pandemic afflicting Alberg sailboats. We may have to start inoculating our boats...maybe spraying Teflon or something on our trailer bunks and stand pads...?  ;D

Jim_ME

Apples...I planted this apple tree over 30 years ago...bought a dwarf species so that it wouldn't grow too tall and reach the power/utilities wires above. I think that it was about 5 years ago or so that we had a gale on Patriots day. A big blue spruce was blown down and clobbered this poor apple tree hard enough to quarter its trunk from where its main branches diverged a couple feet [all the way down] to the ground. I expected much (or all) of the tree to wither away, but somehow it survives...a mighty Tolkienesque dwarf starring in its own 4-part treelogy... ;)

Maybe the dwarf took one for the team to save a sailboat...or maybe it's just another case of senseless tree-on-tree violence...nature's inhumanity to nature...?

Anyway...my sister Beth (whom you met) visited yesterday and I picked a large bag full of apples for her and she threatens to retaliate by baking me (and my Dad) a pie with them. There are spots on the apples, but hey, they are organic, and with pies one can pare around the imperfections...  :)

SeaHusky

I think you need to spray teflon on your other commitments, chores and other land anchors.
There was an old thread once about "the anchors that bind" and it has been in my thoughts since.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Jim_ME

Quote from: SeaHusky on October 20, 2015, 06:38:47 AM
I think you need to spray teflon on your other commitments, chores and other land anchors.
Grog to that!  :)