You told me so, bought a bigger boat and random thoughts

Started by lastgreatgeneration, August 24, 2016, 12:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

So a few months ago I bought a westerly corsair 36. Mostly the shower, full galley and 80 gallon water tankage was appealing. However this boat has proving to be too much, even though it's basically a 35' boat. It's also costing me $198 per month to sit on the hard.

Also I have acquired an absolute hate for inboard engines. I have had so many problems with the Volvo md7a. It runs though! I think I have all of the problems sorted for now... My first boat a Pearson Ariel with an outboard never gave me any of the problems I'm currently dealing with. I can buy around 7.5 new outboards for the cost of 1 new Diesel engine!

Back to the drawing board, I have learned a lot about boats, wheel steering, engines and fiberglass work. I always say an education is always expensive no matter what well I'm currently getting schooled and it's expensive. I'm waiting to get back the uscg documentation on the westerly and I'm putting her up for sale for what I have into it. I shouldn't have a hard time selling her.

In the quest for simplicity I have began looking at sailboats again. I have looked at a macgregor 26 (I can tow it with my Subaru) and also seriously considering a Bristol 24 with an outboard well and a CD 25. I have learned so much last few years about boats, here's some of the things I have learned.

Get a survey no matter how cheap the boat is, they can keep you from doing dumb things.

Hold out for the best price possible, it's always better to be the buyer than to be the seller.

If the boat needs some work, make sure the marina will let you Diy. I was shocked to find out what I could and couldn't do. Technically you aren't allowed to touch anything below the deck line, so forget replacing your own seacocks/zincs and don't even think about bottom or hull paint! I think they want to keep all of the work at their yard. I have learned marinas don't care about you or your boat at all they just want the check every month. This has been consistent at every marina I have been to.

Spend money where it counts, good anchor tackle, great personal safety gear are a few items. So if you are forced to sell you can take most of it with you.

And then there's the anchor well debacle. On the Ariel my new tohatsu was always in the water corroding away and growing things. The only option was to manually lift out the 60 pound engine every time you use it. My next boat will have the James Baldwin treatment where there is a cut out in the transom so the outboard leg lifts out of the water. This should remedy this problem. Any thoughts on this?

Lastly, anybody want to buy a 36' boat?

Bubba the Pirate

If it makes you feel any better, I'm paying $350/mnth to be on the hard.  However, there are no rules and I can do all my own work.

Actually, there is one rule: if I am going to do anything involving bottom paint, I have to pay them to put a ground cover under the boat. I forget what that was, about $100.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapnK

;D ;D ;D Same thing here. I was on the Ariel today, measuring... I have some feelers out, trying to find for trade an A-30 or CD28+, maybe a Triton. There's just so much more overhead in a larger boat - and not just financially, it's there in everything - maintenance, upkeep, planning, etc etc... Smaller *is* Simpler *is* Better, at least for some of us. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

lastgreatgeneration

Quote from: Bubba the Pirate on August 24, 2016, 03:13:41 PM
If it makes you feel any better, I'm paying $350/mnth to be on the hard.  However, there are no rules and I can do all my own work.

Actually, there is one rule: if I am going to do anything involving bottom paint, I have to pay them to put a ground cover under the boat. I forget what that was, about $100.

Ok I'm near Annapolis paying $198 per month, where are you paying $350? Well in the long run that may be cheaper because you would probably get the work done really quick!

Well capn k, the way I see it with an inboard diesel on a small boat you will need to carry gasoline for the outboard and generator. Then where will you have all of the space to store the gas cans, diesel, filters etc etc. then you end up with a 40 foot boat.

I was thinking for simplicity sake have 2 outboards that are indenticle except one will be long shaft and one for the dinghy say a 6hp or so. Less parts to carry less tools to carry. I really have been rethinking the small boat issues and how they can be remedied. Also you can pay for a full custom enclosure for the cockpit in money saved in maintenance and slip fees for the larger boat. Next boat will have a complete full enclosure. I really like the Bristol 27 with the outboard and dinette model.

SailorTom

Quote from: lastgreatgeneration on August 24, 2016, 05:07:04 PM

Ok I'm near Annapolis paying $198 per month, where are you paying $350? Well in the long run that may be cheaper because you would probably get the work done really quick!

Back about summer 2008 I was on the hard at Smith's up the Severn River a bit. It was the cheapest within 30miles of Annapolis at $279/month for a 26ft catamaran and able to do everything. Which marina are you in at only $198? That quite the deal!
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

lastgreatgeneration

Quote from: SailorTom on August 25, 2016, 03:17:36 PM
Quote from: lastgreatgeneration on August 24, 2016, 05:07:04 PM

Back about summer 2008 I was on the hard at Smith's up the Severn River a bit. It was the cheapest within 30miles of Annapolis at $279/month for a 26ft catamaran and able to do everything. Which marina are you in at only $198? That quite the deal!

Holiday point marina on the south river, mayo. It's about 20 minutes from Annapolis. However my boat is so far away from power I had to buy a generator also forget about water I would need about a hundred yards of hose. Also as I said above they won't let you work on your own boat. I have worked at this marina as a contractor and I always said "this is where boats come to die", now I partially understand why.

A good friend of mine had great things to say about kentmore marina over on Kent island. Next time around I'll visit them and see how they are. I'm sure they can't be too expensive and other than the bay bridge toll it's probably about the same distance as mayo.

Bubba the Pirate

FWIW, I am at Riverside Marina, Fort Pierce. Though I'm not there very often recently. I'm on the road squirreling away boat money. I may be here a while because I am funding the boat work as I earn the cash to do it.

Capt. Tony and Carol have done some great work on their boat here. They are back in the water.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lance on cloud nine

it was this site here...and all of you...that kept me from making the big boat decision...and I thank you all! every time I would sail my first boat..an O'Day 23, I would fall in love with it a little more. all my friends and family kept asking about getting a bigger boat. I was getting increasingly confused because the smaller boat just kept making more and more sense to me. I kept calculating how much we could do together for so little money. I was actually thrilled to sleep on it and never felt like it was too small. I felt like the crazy one in my group, but THEN I found this site, and realized many felt the same. I eventually bought a much nicer (not clapped out) O'Day 23 and it made my wife enjoy our outings much more. Also have a 26 being spruced up. Probably the only way I would want a bigger boat, is if I were going to live on it full time. And even then, it would really be for the comfort of others.
SO, THANKS!
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Shawn67

Quote from: lastgreatgeneration on August 24, 2016, 12:42:00 PM
Also I have acquired an absolute hate for inboard engines. I have had so many problems with the Volvo md7a. It runs though! I think I have all of the problems sorted for now... My first boat a Pearson Ariel with an outboard never gave me any of the problems I'm currently dealing with. I can buy around 7.5 new outboards for the cost of 1 new Diesel engine!

I feel your pain. For 3 seasons I kept thinking I had all the problems sorted on my MD7A... each season it through something new at me. After it did it again this year I pulled it and converted to outboard.

Shawn

caferacer59

Hey Dan, I just logged on to this site, and figured out your the old owner of my Ariel, just a quick note to say 3 years later she is going strong, I sail her constantly, do the Wednesday beer cans, (she rates a 264 Ha!).  Anyways she continues to be a stong little boat.  cheers.

lastgreatgeneration

Quote from: caferacer59 on March 15, 2017, 03:12:59 PM
Hey Dan, I just logged on to this site, and figured out your the old owner of my Ariel, just a quick note to say 3 years later she is going strong, I sail her constantly, do the Wednesday beer cans, (she rates a 264 Ha!).  Anyways she continues to be a stong little boat.  cheers.

Great that you still have her. I often think of how she didn't have any rot, anywhere. A little small, although endearing. I saw her in the same slip we delivered her to when you bought her. I was looking at another boat there. I moved back to the east coast and I'm currently looking for a larger version of the Ariel. Most likely a cape dory 28-30. If you need anything I'm in east port, drop a line sometime.

lastgreatgeneration

The boat addiction continues. I found a smoking deal on a cape dory 28.  Nice, comes with dodger, nice sails, newer RF etc etc. also well maintained and loved. I put down a deposit, I don't have all the money yet but I'll figure out how to get it. She has what appears to be the original cushions, a few other dated accessories, the former owner upgraded to a CD 36. She is every bit of the boat I have wanted and needed. I plan on glassing over the unused seacocks and removing the traditional marine toilet. Also planning on removing the head sink and converting to shelf storage. More to come, I will probably make another post on the topic. Burning the candle at both ends as usual...

lance on cloud nine

"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapnK

Congrats! Love my Ariel, the step up to the Islander 36 was j just too much, and now, on my Alberg 30, I think I've hit 'the sweet spot' for size, even with the gal aboard.  I have not yet sold the 36 or the Ariel, so I have all 3 boats side by side in the marina, if anyone wants to stop in and get an idea of just how much difference is involved in "5'itis".  :D

(Marina fees for me are very low, as I do the website, wireless, networking, and all other IT stuff for here.)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

lastgreatgeneration

I hear you. The differences in most ways aren't much. Just upgraded to my absolute perfect boat, a cape dory 28. The CD seems much more spacious than my previous sabre 28. However I believe a alberg 30 would be a little smaller. The CD 28 is my perfect boat. First thing is to glass over the thruhulls and install a composting head.