Memory foam for cushions

Started by Cyric30, January 17, 2017, 02:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

Hello All
Would like everyone's thoughts on this.
This is kind of a 2 part question,First, i'm very partial to my memory foam mattress :). I've gave some consideration to using a 4" or 6" foam mattress for the a set of V-birth cushion, which i really don't see much issue with, 2nd part though, what about for the rest of the foam in say the settees?, i wonder how well it would hold up compared to your normal foam.....I'm just kinda looking for folks thoughts on this. I've read other places, but i want this community's thoughts.

thank you all for your time and consideration.

Cyric

CharlieJ

Joe- all  the foam on Tehani is open cell, medium firmness pink foam....Done in 2005,, and as you know, still doing well.

Pic of when we cut it all in 2005
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

A friend had 4" memory foam on top of 4" regular foam for the mattress.
Awesome!!
I think memory foam would be too soft for settee's and regular foam best there. Just my 2cents....about What it's worth 😄
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

ralay

How many dollars in foam is that, CJ?  I thought about sewing a new mattress for the berth we sleep in, but thought twice once I saw the price.  Who knew foam was so expensive?

CharlieJ

Really couldn't say Raylay. That was long ago and I still  had a business license for wholesale discounts. Ordered from a company in San Antonio.

But was well worth it. I still sleep very well in the vee berth
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

lance on cloud nine

Charlie - how did you cut the foam so uniform? Looks great!
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

CharlieJ

moved one of my bandsaws to front deck
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

However, if you work carefully, and electric carving knife does a great job too
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

I saw a neat setup in the aft cabin of a ketch while watching YouTube recently. The owner installed two separate air mattresses adjacent to one another in the double berth, with foam pieces wedged in the surrounding gaps. He had a dedicated air compressor mounted below so that the mattresses could be independently adjusted!  :o not exactly a kiss solution but I thought it was inventive.

Cyric30

I had actually thought about an air mattress, until i used one a couple months back camping, and unfortunately my back did not like me for a week afterwards, i dont know what the problem was other than im becoming old and soft :). but i see the 4" memory foam mattress for sale for around $100 so the expense isn't to bad to go that route.

Norman

Memory foam is relatively soft, and if you are heavy like me, 4 inches is not enough.  I have 2 inches of firmer foam underneath the 4 of memory, and my bones are happier!

I also have an 8 inch air mattress that sleeps fine, and a 4 inch I don't use any more.  It was OK when I was 160 pounds!

lance on cloud nine

"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."