Global Moderator

kARRR-ma: +256/-0
[Grog!] [Lashes]
Little boats...somewhere
View Profile
Personal Message (Online)

life...and cruising...need not be complicated

? on: May 22, 2014, 09:41:01 PM ?

I was just looking at pictures from last winter and it struck me how overly complicated and excessively expensive some make cruising. Then, there are those that have a simple boat and are having a hoot with a lot less stress and expence. This topic is like anchors...we all have opinions. Personally, unless you are doing serious offshore passages, I feel fun can be had with far less equipment than we are programed to buy. A well found boat, a good anchor, decent sails with multiple reef points, a good VHF, hand held GPS, a set of explorer charts and your laptop is all one needs to cruise the southern states, the Keys and the quick hop over to Bahamas during winter. (repeat as desired) I say laptop because wifi is available in many places for good forcasts and to check into sailfar  ;) So...if this is actually all that is needed...why do 98.5% of cruisers make it SO much more complicated and take things SO seriously? 

I found this old post and it was like shock treatment for me. Since we got our 28 we have added a list of needs and wants totaling about six grand! All just to sail to the Keys for the winter. When all we have to have is a bottom job, batteries , a dink, and some real ground tackle. Time to refocus on the needs not the wants. Wants can come later if the time and money are there.

Scott
84 Islander 28

Norman

Well said, Scott!

Frank has a great combination of seasonal I employment, sailing skills and sense of adventure for the life style he wishes to lead.

A solid boat will survive terrible weather if you have room to leeward. 
Technology will not keep you off a reef or lee shore, but a good anchor and rode will.

As short as my cruising range is, 4 anchors, each with its own piece of chain, 12 feet or more, and nylon  rode for each.  half are small lunch hooks and light nylon rode, but they are useful for setting out to the side of the bow to prevent sailing back and forth when anchored.  We read of cruisers finding that they cannot remain at their present location due to high wind and exposed anchorage, and unable to recover the anchor for a variety of reasons.  The anchor must be abandoned.  Obviously, they will need a very good anchor at their next anchorage, as the storm will still be raging, even though the shelter is much better.  All my anchors but one are used, from yard sales or Bacon sails, so not much invested.  I also have small Styrofoam floats, the size of crab pot buoys, for each, to make returning in better weather and recovering them easy.

I agree that a chart book and hand held GPS, plus a VHF radio are the main tech items needed, and a fish finder depth sounder rounds it out.  I do have a cell phone and IPad with charts and WIFI/cell service for communicating and internet, but those are relatively new additions.  I would no longer go sailing without my tiller pilot unless someone else went too, but that is not much money.

Adventures as long and far as Frank does are far from my physical limits, as I am 15 or 20 years his senior, even older than Charlie Jones!  I do still sail solo, and find opportunities to sail with others on their boats.  I carefully choose my dates and places to stay within my personal comfort zone, and keep on going.

A Macgregor 22 is not a classic cruiser, but in the waters that I sail, it is entirely adequate.  A few years ago, I anchored for the night in a large creek, wind from the steep shore on the opposite side, and light.  In the night, as  predicted on NOAA weather, a 90 degree shift gave me a 10 mile fetch, and 40 knot wind.  I was still securely anchored, and prepared breakfast in a leisurely manner.  That was more wind than I sail in, so rearranged the bedding for sitting against the side of the hull and read one of my books.

Like Frank, never go on a schedule, plan ahead for wind and weather changes, and have alternate amusements for when things get bad for sailing.  And ground tackle that you can depend on, not necessarily the latest and greatest, just a match for the bottom where you are.

I enjoy sailing with Frank from a great distance, and wish I were there too, but with a non sailing wife, staying in the home waters is better for me.

Norman

Frank

Honestly.....if you make it to the Keys or over here, the biggest question you'll ask yourself will be "why did I wait so long?"

In fairness....I had a well found boat, charts,  the waterway cruising guide and the desire back in 1984. Life got in the way and it was a full 18yrs later until I actually headed south. I ask myself that question a lot.....

Looking back, most of my cruises were charts only (no plotter), a $99 Garmin GPS and no refridgeration. Although I'm very happy with my current boat and set-up, I know from experience the 'perks' are not needed to enjoy this. What is needed more than anything is the desire, then to pull the trigger and leave the dock....

Have fun!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Sunset

Thanks, as Larry would say git-r-done!
84 Islander 28