News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Anchoring proximity

Started by w00dy, July 13, 2017, 06:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

After a particularly harrowing day a few months ago when two separate boats came close to colliding with us in a tight anchorage, I have found myself more anxious and concerned about our harbor neighbors.

Something I've come to accept and understand is that up in the NE, people are used to crowded anchorages and seem to have less concern about getting up close to other boats than what I personally am accustomed to. While I understand that "close" is a relative term, I am curious about   what everyone here feels about this.

Would you be comfortable with someone anchored 2-3 boat lengths ahead of you? Astern? Do you bother asking them to move or is it easier to move yourself? What are your experiences and stories about anchoring? If someone drags into you boat at anchor, who is legally responsible? Both parties?

CharlieJ

I have asked someone to move when I thought they were anchoring too close to me. In fact, in Boot Key Harbor, Laura looked UP at the cockpit of one and insisted they move. They drug ashore that night
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Like yourself...I'm uncomfortable in 'tight' quarters anchored. I have asked others to move....with varying degrees of success. Wind speed and direction changes alter an entire anchorage as everyone has different scope. It can and does get interesting...and uncomfortable.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

I told this story on the chat last night, but here it is again

I used to crew on a 50 foot (on deck) schooner. We were anchored one evening in a tideway with a Bahama Moor. A smallish sloop- 30, maybe 32 feet came in and anchored very close alongside. The owners wife went on deck and told them they were too close. The guy informed her he knew what he was doing and was just fine. To which she replied- "suit yourself,, but we weigh 50,000 pounds and you are inside our swing range" and came back below

we watched out the ports, as the guys wife came up and we could see her talking to him in somewhat agitated terms. Then he hauled anchor and moved :) :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bob J (ex-misfits)

It's crowded up here, no arguing that. It's really crowded down near the cape & islands where you're presently hanging out. Best get as far downeast as you can, it'll get more peacefull.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

w00dy

It's strange ,but in spite of all the cruising we have done, our own travels have rarely coincided with the movements of the major boating crowds, so it's easy to forget how congested things can get at certain times and places. This is starting to factor more into my planning now that I have had a few unpleasant brushes with other novice, irresponsible, and inebreated boaters.

God knows I've made my share of mistakes, and will surely continue to, so I don't want to sound too judgmental of others for doing what I've probably done myself. For the most part, I've been very lucky out here on the water, but the more time I spend out here, the more chances there are for my luck to run out, which is probably why I find myself growing more conservative and cautious about such things.

I think that good communication with the neighbors goes a long way. Being tactful is probably more of a successful approach than outright beligerance. I have a hard time being confrontational sometimes, so it's often easier for me just to look for other solutions. This past week, I found myself uncomfortable with some boats anchored nearby, but the weather was relatively settled and so I relented. I wouldn't hesitate to move if I thought our boat was legitimately in danger, but since we have no dinghy motor and have to row everywhere, it's hard to want to weigh anchor and move out to the extent of the Anchorage.

The one day we were beset by strong winds and we're almost hit by multiple boats, I realized that although I was frustrated by the situation, I could empathize with the other sailors plight and in that moment it reinforced the realization that out on the water, we're all in it together. What happens to one group can easily affect another, and often does.

So, after I quickly let out the last 150 ft of my anchor rode to avoid being dragged down upon,  I got in my dinghy and rowed over to the offenders boat, coincidentally also a westsail 32. He had just bought the boat and it was his first day moving it, single-handed. With my help, he was able to get the anchor up and reset safely. I hope I earned some karma there, because when the shtf, we can use all the help we can get.