News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Hurricane Harvey

Started by w00dy, August 24, 2017, 07:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

Our thoughts and prayers are with you CJ! Stay safe.

Jim_ME

On the SF chat yesterday [Thursday] evening, Charlie told of his plans to go to friends (and fellow sailors) San Antonio, Texas. He said that... "it was sorta decided for me...they offered high dollar rum :)"

His house and sailboat Tehani are in Port Lavaca, as is Joe's (Cyric30) boat, and Charlie's friend Robin's boat is also in a marina in that area. RALay told us that Woody was happy to hear as his relatives call and say they're leaving [the Austin area for a safer place, I believe].

I've been following the weather forecast here...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=28.616&lon=-96.6236
...which has links to more on the storm.

The forecast has the storm lingering over the area for days with potentially more than 20 inches of rain over much of the coast and well inland.

Join Woody in his thoughts and wishing the best for all affected.

CharlieJ

Thanks Jim. Juust dropped anchor :) in San Antonio. 150 miles north of my house.

My friend here has his Vanguard 32 moored in Port
aransas. Which looks to be the bulls eye. He's very worried. Says fhe marina docks aren't the best
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Woody's family is near the coast.  Austin is about 3h inland.  Austinites probably don't need to worry unless they're on the banks of some of the creeks that flood frequently. 

ralay

Glad to hear you're out, CJ.  It's hard to be optimistic about the boats, but we're really hoping for the best for them and your sweet little house.  The only good thing I can say about that marina in a storm is that at least, at $4/ft/mo, most folks who have been there awhile have probably saved almost enough in slip rent to cover the cost of their boat. 

Cyric30

I am glad to hear Charlie has made it to safety.
I now only worry For charlies house and our boats, im not to proud to admit i am scared as to what will happen to our boats.

CharlieJ

Looks like Port L is going to miss the worst. Winds just at 50 mph. Down south around Corpus looks bad

So far I'm not worried about house or boats
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

I don't get it. Marine forecast for PL says E 40-50kts gusting 65kts.  But the marine forecast for Corpus also only says gusts to 75kts.  Shouldn't somebody have a Cat 3 forecast?

65kts out of the East at NLM still sounds terrifying to me.  That's straight in the gap in the breakwater assuming the breakwater isn't underwater.  You've got nerves of steel, CJ.

There are a couple of crazy tow captains riding it out over at Alcoa.  They're posting updates on Reddit. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/TropicalWeather/comments/6w1jmj/we_are_tied_up_in_port_lavaca_with_another_boat/

Cyric30

Charlie
your assessment does help ease my mind some, so thank you.

Ralay dont Jinks it please :)

Lars

looks like it took a little wooble to the north in these last few loops. this is a noaa site with real time station data.. tide already 3 feet above prediction in some areas..good luck texans

https://www.tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/geographic.html

ralay

Water at PL is up 4 ft.  Blowing 30kts, gusting 37kts out of the NE.  POC is blowing 41kt gusting 52kt out of the East. Probably still have a foot of breakwater sticking up. 

CharlieJ

Got a LOT worse later. Worst storm since Carla in 61

Worried about boat for sure. Probably will ned new roof at least on house

Have to just wait and see.  Still would be stupid to go back. Still a hurricane!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Any word from your friends down in Rockport and Port A? They got hit pretty badly I think.

CharlieJ

No real word. Power out. Phone out. Just have to wait. And hope
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Sorry, y'all.  The tug on Reddit posted photos and video of their instruments reading 135kts at Alcoa this morning.  Emergency responders are posting photos to Facebook.  There's a big pile of boats on the peninsula there by the marina.  I think I see Rosie and the trawlers.  It's hard to tell who else is there.

w00dy

ralay

It's hard to tell if that big pavilion is gone or just obscured by rain.  At least the boats piled up are probably pretty stable now.  They refloated Satori from a beach.  Maybe they will be able to put Rosie back in too.  Those Westsail 28s are stout little boats. 

Bob J (ex-misfits)

My Dad lives in Victoria.
Haven't been able to talk to him since Thursday night. My daughter said he posted to FB late yesterday so guess that's a good sign. Tried calling this morning & went straight to voice mail.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

w00dy

Some of my relatives are also hunkered down in Victoria. They're on the north east side of town pretty far from the river. They are still sending me messages so their cell carrier still had service apparently, butthey have been without power since early in the morning. Say it's calmed back down to 70 mph winds !!!

ralay

We just meet another couple of boaters on the bus.  During Sandy, they're boat got hit by a whole marina that came off its pilings and it pushed them and their mooring onto the land in Staten Island.  They refloated it and it's anchored next to us in Mt Desert Is.  They're heading to the Virgin Islands for the winter.  I'm sure it took them some time to make repairs, but all is not lost, even for boats in piles.