Sea Cocks, Hose, thruhull's, etc....

Started by Jack Tar, December 22, 2005, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Tar

For the novice = Always be sure the sea cock / through hull is closed before greasing it. This pertains to true Sea Cocks fitted with a zirk fitting.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Dougcan

Somehow, I'm getting the impression you found this out the hard way!   :D ::)

Jack Tar

Yep I found it out after having to unplug several sea cocks on a sea scout boat.  Teach em young and teach em right.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Zen

Speaking of sea cocks... I do not know if you guy were joking about the lube stuff.

Two things:
On my islander there is a marine head with holding tank. The whole system looks like it has never been used. THe seacock at the head is stuck closed.
I was thinking to take off the rubber hose, fill the inside of the valve with WD-40 or something llike that and let it sit, then try to work it open ( with hose back on)...any better ideas?
Maybe wait until the boat is on the hard , then just replace the whole unit?

I hear about having cork or wooden plugs at the seaCocks, just in case of something going wrong. How does one find these, or have them made?
On the other hand, is these have valves, seems like on would just close the valve, unless it is broken of course...

thinking with my fingers...
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Skipper Dave

Zen,

I keep a bag of wooden plugs on board you can find them at Worst Marine.

--------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie"  Cal 2-27 (Featured Boat Lats & Atts Oct. 05)

Amorous

Yes, you can get them at west marine or about any marine place.  DON'T try to get fancy and get the teak ones that someone advertises, they should be softwood.
They are meant to be used if the valve breaks off the thru-hull at the threads or is rendered useless (froze up, etc.) or, as in one case I am very familiar with, you go to change the transducer and have the wrong plug ready and drop the transducer and cant find it because the water pushed it WAY under the other stuff in the locker, and water is pouring in!
I'd get some if I were you.
:)

Pixie Dust

I know this is a basic question, but what do you use as grease?  Anything special? 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

hearsejr

wooden plugs are a must have iteams. you might never use them, but when you get a small hole  below the water line...or even above it some cases, they sure come in handy. I got mine from a marine store and they were the plain jane type and on sell. they costed less then $5. a year later a fella had his boat struck by lightning and it messed up a through hull. I was walking the dock and noticed the soles was half full so I jumped down there and drove the stakes through the hole like I was Van Helsing at a vampire fest.. the guy's girl friend saw me and my brother in their boat and called the cops but the cops was a boater and he just luaghed it off and the owner offered us a free lunch for the trouble...and kept my stake. keep them where you can to them in a hurry.
as for the type of grease, on my tube it simply read's  "TEXICO marine grease, for use in marine enviroment". and then it gives you  list of things it would be useful for.
I wish I could be of more help there but the grease was a give me, from the boatyard. someone  opened it and used about 10% of it then was going to toss it in a dumpster but yard owner said it was not allowed to do that. so I got it for free. lol
Bill

watsongs

Get the proper size plug for each through-hull, drill a hole across the top, run a string through it, and tie the other end to the corresponding fitting.  That way, if you ever need it, it's right there.

CharlieJ

OR-

You can do like I've done on Tehani.

I removed ALL the thruhulls, glassed over the holes and painted. I now have NO openings in the boat below the water line. She had 7 (yeah- SEVEN) when I started. 4 of them with NO seacocks- just pipes glassed to the hull with hoses stuck on them. Gave me the shudders just looking at the things.

Of course you have to use a porta potti if you do that, but that hasn't proven to be much of a drawback considering:)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Dory Man

A reply to Pixie Dust

A favorite among Cape Dory owners that have bronze Spartan Seacocks is:

Morey's Super Red Premium
Water Proof
Multi-purpose E.P. Grease
Part No. M3209
Morey's Oil Products Company
8015 Paramount Blvd.
Pico Rivera, Ca. 90660
The standard grease cartridge is white with red and black text and has a red plastic cap on one end.
NAPA info:
Part # 3209
Line: NCB
Description: Morey's
Price: $5.69

By the way, I was admiring your boat in the Pic Galley...very nice.

Dick

Pixie Dust

A reply to Dick,
Thank you!!  Being a female, I often need "specifics" since this aspect is new to me.  But I am learning and enjoying it at the same time!  I was not aware seacocks even needed greasing until this thread.  :)  I  do at least open and close routinely to keep them from freezing up.
Thank you for the PD compliments.  She is sure special to me. 

In my old marina, I had a beautiful 29' Cape Dory Sail beside of me.  It was an early 80's or late 70's model.  Absolutely beautiful boats and she sailed wonderfully.  Down below was gorgeous.  They used Kramer's Antique Oil on their wood below which made it glow.  That is what I use now on my interior wood.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Dory Man

Reply to Pixie Dust:

All you do is disassemble them one at a time so you don't mix parts, some people just wipe with a clean rag, I clean with kerosene (Home Depot), dry, and coat with a light coat of grease and reassemble. Don't over grease or you won't get them to fit together very easily and the excess is just squeezed out of the barrel any how.  Also don't overtighten the nut either. Just enough turn so that you can move the seacock with a slight resistance (and of course no leaking). Doing this yearly and a good quality seacock will probably last the life of the boat.

krissteyn

Charlie :-

you offer a far too simple solution for all the  wanna-have-trubble types  : 
I agree with you 110%  - my boat had a wonderfull porta-potty with a simple hand-pump and access to pump-out. The 2 cockpit holes drained on the opposite side ,  above the waterline - these were the only wooden stoppers I had use for.

I am looking to buy another boat now and will continue the tradition.

safe - secure - and relaxing peace of mind

retired from stress - kris the kruiser...

Iceman

Im looking for 4 each
Groco 1.5 inch size rubber seacock inserts SV1506

Factory sold last one last week

I know its time to upgrade however, time is an issue at the moment

NOS stock is fine..Top Dollar paid

Iceman

AllAboutMe

Iceman,
I was told that they sold the last ones a year ago when I checked, a year ago. Don't know if they found more, or if that's the standard line.
If yours are just dry, try boiling them in water and applying lithium grease or vaseline and re installing. If they are shot, I'm afraid that short of having someone make new ones, you're out of luck. I haven't had mine apart. I assume that the rubber mounts on a shaft, and is screwed down, much like a faucet washer. Could you sandwich several rubber washers on the shaft?   Or maybe cut rings from an old tire (non steel belted) and fit them on ?  Just a thought.
Larry Wilson

Iceman

Thanks

The present ones are still usable, Im just lookin for spares

and for the just in case scenario

Ice

Iceman

Actually

Its more of a panic attack..I like things perfect

If any members see these in a store where they live
Give me a Yell

Ice