News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Boat stove discussion

Started by djn, January 15, 2006, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djn

Hi All, I have a small microwave where the stove should be and just don't use it when on shore.  I just ordered this stove to replace it.  Between this and the BBQ off the back we should be set.  I have no affiliation with this company, just passing along info.  Cheers.

Link to Cabelas.com stove

Dougcan

Interesting, this is just about the perfect stove for my 24' sailboat!

Thanks for finding it for us!  Karma for this!

I took the liberty of shorting your rather long link into a hyperlink so we can see all of your post on one screen! :D

djn

Thanks for the shorten Dougcan.  I not computer savey enought to do that.  I am putting the stove on my Catalina C25.  Perfect fit width and depth, but I have to move the shelf down about 7 inches.  Cheers.

Solace

Stove with an oven to - I'm green with envy.

Congrats on the find - good luck with the install.

Cheers!

John

CapnK

That looks interesting, thanks djn. :)

(Solace, try soaking in bleach... :P )
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

starcrest

the stove I have now will make a great home to small fish.once I get that sove you told us about....the one I have now will become an artificial reef some where in the marina.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

psyche

I had read about this stove but have not seen one. please post comments about how you like the stove and how well it works on the boat. dan

starcrest

really nice but it snot gimballed.probably can be rigged as such with minimal mental abilities
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

s/v Faith

My 'old faithful' butane stove that I have been using for 10 years (allot) finally gave out last weekend. 

I bought a slightly smaller version;

I found mine in a local 'ACE' Hardware for $22, they can also be had on Flea-Bay for a little less.

One butane cyl lasts for a few days in regular use, longer then the screw on propane bottles on my camp stove did.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

I had put in a very low bid on one on E-bay, and got an email saying I had won..... for $2.55!

Guess I have a spare now!

Frank

Is the 'ace hardware' model normal inventory ?? I love these stoves and have never saw one as small. Are they as small as they appear?? I have one like your $2.50 model,but the 'ace' seems 1/2 the size in the box.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

Dennis - are you still around? How is that stove working out? I've wondered that several times, would be interested in hearing about them, even more in seeing one and checking it out... :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

It's been a while since I looked at alternatives. Right now I have the cheap 2 burner propane stove from WalMart, but I mostly just use 1 of the burners, so it takes up more space than needed, thus I keep looking... :)

Here are some interesting finds from this morning, some are recaps, some are, I think, 'new' to the discussion...

I think I am going to get this one, and give away my cheapo 2 burner, or if possible, chop it up for spare burners:

I've long looked at this one, because I like the small oven/broiler, but it's larger than it needs to be for me, and space is at a premium. It's on sale, $20 off of what its cost has been for the last several years:

Here's a new-to-me product (a propane oven) that seems like a good idea, but is a bit pricey. More specs here, it is pretty large. Still, it runs off of my fuel, so...

Anyone used or seen this one yet?

A stovetop hot-water heater that some may find of interest...

Maybe this could be modified into a small, stovetop oven?

And this thing looks like a way to make hot beverage/cooking water with a minimum of fuel. At its price, it would take a while to recover the costs, but at sea, minimal fuel usage and max efficiency would be nice:

Last, heres a stove which can use propane, gas, or kero - giving maximum flexibility in fuels. Sorry, no pic, the site owners claim copyright on the pic (for no good reason)...  ::) ??? :P

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

I guess the owners of the last stove have never heard of fair use, as defined in the Copyright Act of 1978.  UGH.  I personally like the integrated unit, that has the outback logo.  Someone I know put something that looks a lot like that on their boat about six months ago and can't stop talking about how well it works.  His "boss" is a fairly accomplished cook and baker, so we've all benefitted by her having a better galley setup. :D  Hot, fresh cookies.  MMMM...

I've used the JetBoil when I've been camping...but never really thought about it for use on a boat.  My major concern is that the small canisters that are used by it tend to rust out fairly quickly in a marine environment. 

As for the Stove-top hot water heater... I think it is more of a gimmick than something really useful. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Yeah, the stove top heater I just included for the heckuvit... Doesn't look like it'd do a better job than a pot and my bugsprayer, which I already own... :)

I did order the small burner. Wish it was stainless and not just chromed, but it should be easy to keep up with, and to rig. KISS.

Does the jet boil actually use less fuel / heat faster than plain old water-in-a-pot, in your experience, or is it just kind of a gimmick? I wondered about that one. The heat sink on the bottom of the boiler, it looks like it would work...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

I couldn't say whether it is faster than using a traditional stove and a good pot...but it was certainly faster than the cheap cookware my friend generally carries when she and I go camping. :D I'd love to do some tests to see if it is actually faster, but its her stove.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Quote from: Frank on September 07, 2006, 08:52:27 PM
Is the 'ace hardware' model normal inventory ?? I love these stoves and have never saw one as small. Are they as small as they appear?? I have one like your $2.50 model,but the 'ace' seems 1/2 the size in the box.

Frank, the Ace hardware has got more of these in.  Let me know if you would like me to pick one up for you.

s/v Faith

My butane stove works great for cooking on the hook, or in calm conditions.  I have a Magma grill / stove for the cockpit (never used, just waiting for the stern pushpit to mount it on).

I bought a Sea Swing, Sterno stove several months ago, hoping for a good place to cook underway.  I was going to modify it for use with a small (primus type) camping burner.  I am not thinking that the Sterno is not such a bad fuel.  I am also thinking about using alcohol in old Sterno cans with steel wool (like an origo unpressurized stove). 

Has anyone used Sterno aboard a boat>?  I know there won't be any heat control (off / on only) but I don't plan on gourmet cooking with this think underway, move soup and coffee type stuff.

Experience?

CharlieJ

I've always felt Sterno was great for cooking and making coffee- if you like everything luke!!

I really don't think it'll put out enough heat to COOK things. It does a great job of WARMING stuff.

We have a SeaCook stove on Tehani, modified for a kerosene burner. Laura likes it a lot.

Pic is in my gallery on SailFar and yeah, we were heeled that far while Laura was cooking. We've since changed the coffee pot out for a stainless kettle and a French Press. Takes less fuel.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Sterno doesn't cook very fast, Craig, and it is easily affected by wind, so I don't know if it would be very ideal. Seems like you would waste a lot of (expensive, relatively) fuel. You can reuse the cans.

You might want to modify it to use one of these MSR PocketRocket small canister fuel stoves. I have one, and it rocks. The fuel might/would be hard to get once you were away from America, though. If you could design your mod so that you could use alcohol when you needed, and switch to one of these when fuel was available...

Another possible neat small stove is the Coleman  MultiFuel stove, which'll burn white gas, reg'lar gas, or kerosene. No worries about finding fuel - get some from your outboard. :) I have a friend who's biked/hiked/'yaked all over the US, several SoPac islands, including a goodly piece of New Zealand, Oz and Taz, and this is the stove he has always used. Since I have traveled probably close to 1000 of those miles with him, I've seen the thing perform, and it works incredibly well.

Please Buy My Boats. ;)