Random Thoughts on Fixing Boats

Started by Cmdr Pete, March 09, 2007, 01:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr Pete

Some random thoughts on fixing boats:

1) Keep an open mind. There are often different ways to solve a problem. On the other hand, there are some basic principles that you violate at your peril. It's not always easy to tell what is mandatory and what is optional.

2) Go with tried and true methods. A few times I thought I had figured out a better way, ignoring 10,000 years of boatbuilding wisdom. Naturally, I had mixed results. I don't want to stifle innovation, but failure is very disheartening.

3) Most projects have unintended consequences. Installing one thing may interfere with something else. Think long and hard before jumping in. Some thing are better left alone.

4) Of course a project will be more difficult and time-consuming than you originally figured. You've never done it before. What makes you think its going to turn out perfectly the first time?

5) Prioritize. It's easy to get bogged down. Don Casey talks about starting with safety items first. The problem is, there aren't alot of frills on a small boat. Just about everything is necessary for its safe operation. You can convince yourself that anything is a safety item.

My advice--fix what worries you the most.

On the other hand, you need motivation to work on a boat. If it makes you happy to pretty up the boat, then do that too.

6) I've probably never had a truly original idea. I just try and copy what others have done based upon their description on the internet. But, some people make it seem so easy. I guess they forget the pain once a project is done. The best project descriptions address the problems they ran into, and how they would do it differently if they had to do it all over again.

7) There are few creatures more stubborn than a sailor with a "Plan." If they thought up the plan on their own, they can't be dissuaded by reason and common sense. Don't waste your breath.

8: The people who know the least are often the most insistent. You can often spot them by the use of capitals---"I NEVER do that, I ALWAYS do this"

9) There is alot of brand loyalty and brand hate. If somebody is happy with a particular product, they act like it has some magical properties. If they had a bad experience, for whatever reason, the stuff is evil. I'm the same way. I once bought a used Mercury outboard. I hated that thing, and it hated me. I would never buy another Mercury. I don't care that they're made by Tohatsu now. I might buy a Tohatsu, but never a Mercury. Just looking at the thing would aggravate me.

10) You often see a question on the internet "What is the best ________"  A sensible question. Nobody wants to waste money on an inferior product. But, you rarely get a satisfactory answer. Instead, you get a small sampling of "I used Brand X, no problems"  "Brand X here too"  "Had a bad experience with Brand X"  "Brand Y is great"  "Another vote for Brand Y"  "Brand Z is better and cheaper"

I'm not sure how helpful that is. Few people have used multiple brands and are in a position to compare. Even if they had in the past, they've probably stuck with one brand while all the others have been reformulated or redesigned over the years.

While you still have to decide on a product, spend at least as much time focusing on proper technique.

11) Don't take this business too seriously. Some people act like Varnish vs. Cetol is a life or death decision. If someone posts a contrary opinion, they act as if their intelligence and judgement is being called into question.

12) Have fun and sail the darn boat
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

s/v Faith

Another bit of time to account for;

The times when you look around the boat, and have to sit with your head in your hands lamenting the work to be done... this also should include the time spent away from the boat thinking about, and dreading certain tasks.

Quote5) Prioritize. It's easy to get bogged down. Don Casey talks about starting with safety items first. The problem is, there aren't alot of frills on a small boat. Just about everything is necessary for its safe operation. You can convince yourself that anything is a safety item.

My advice--fix what worries you the most.

On the other hand, you need motivation to work on a boat. If it makes you happy to pretty up the boat, then do that too.

YES! I find that there are items on the projects list (last count 33 items long) that are more important then others, but the others seem to get done first.... for instance I want to Renue the rig... but somehow the nav table (and trim) rose higher on the list.. 

WRT #10......

Agree with the idea.. but Silicone is still one of the most evil substances known to man...
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cmdr Pete

Yeah, if you're going to fix up a boat, the first thing you need to get is a "moaning chair"

And silicone is the devil's work
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

CapnK

Dude, waht's WRONG with YOU??? MERCURY IS TEH BEST!!!

;D :D ;D :D ;D

Good thoughts, Pete, and pretty much spot-on.

#3 is where I have been. Trying to get a cohesive whole, from the disparate many. :) Might even be harder on a small boat? Due to proximity, if nothing else...

Now, as actual de/construction on Katie is pretty much ready to go forward, and I am getting into a bit of systems planning and design, I am realizing that as much as ever...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Oh that the list would  get shorter!  ::)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

gpdno

"12) Have fun and sail the darn boat"

YES!  I know too many people who have forgotten this little piece of advise.  Boat are meant to sail, not sit for years languishing at dock.
Gregory
s/v Family Time
Watkins 27
Venice, FL

rorik

Quote from: s/v Faith on April 19, 2012, 01:19:00 AM

:o :o  It can do that!?!? :o :o :o :o

What the heck have I been doing wrong?
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Tim

Quote from: rorik on April 21, 2012, 09:44:21 PM
Quote from: s/v Faith on April 19, 2012, 01:19:00 AM

:o :o  It can do that!?!? :o :o :o :o

What the heck have I been doing wrong?

Naw, that can't  be true. besides my list keeps disappearing and I have to start all over again.  ::)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 09, 2007, 01:32:12 PM
YES! I find that there are items on the projects list (last count 33 items long) that are more important then others, but the others seem to get done first.... for instance I want to Renue the rig... but somehow the nav table (and trim) rose higher on the list.. 

Lol - I too get sidetracked easily!

As my own project draws to a conclusion (and not nearly as big a project as the years spent would suggest  ::)), I have started to reflect on lessons learnt. At some point will scribble down some coherent thoughts, but in the interim I would say the no.1 critical thing to nail down (above even skills and money!) is:-

Project Planning

The more the  better - can't cover everything from the getgo (unless you have second sight!) - but the framework should be there at the outset, it's your plan of battle - so of course will need to adapt and change as events unfold. But having a good plan (written down!) will save money and time (and help on the enthusiasm front - enthusiasm needs to be fed progress).

The good news is that can start the Project Planning even before buying the boat!

Sunset

#5 I lay awake at night some times thinking about whats a year away on my build. Mostly the only reward I get is to have to drink more coffee in the morning.
#6 That's me to the tee.
#7 Some folks know everything and now have no room to learn anything. ( I think I thought that one up but probably heard it somewhere ) ;)
#9 I do that sometimes.
I completely rebuilt a Catalina 22 that was ready for the land fill. Someone had used silicone by the buckets on her. I totally agree about the evilness and horror of the stuff. >:(
84 Islander 28