Outboard motors; Cruising, dingy, tips, maint, & reviews

Started by s/v Faith, August 21, 2006, 11:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I'll throw a bit more fuel on. My old ariel displaced 5200lb...then cruising provisions (remember beer is expensive in Bahamas) 6HP 2stroke,good on fuel.Only complaint was fumes on a run and once wishing for a bit more power into wind/seas. My CP 25, 4500lbs before provisions,6HP 4 stroke, great on fuel and again only once wished for a bit more power. I still feel the compromise between cost/weight/fuel consumption make the small engine worth while. Easy to remove for service too ;)  PS  better prop WAS available for both.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Godot

Hmm.  I wonder if my prop isn't making my efficiency worse than it should be.  Or maybe the motor just needs a rebuild.

Well, if I still have money left over after fixing my kitchen, deck, porch, and driveway at home, and adding roller furling, solar panels, more sails, and a dodger to the boat, maybe then I'll consider the four stroke again.

Of course, my current problem is that I don't have enough money to START any of the above projects; which may slow things down a bit.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Lynx

Check the motor make's web site to see if they have a table for prop size and pitch. With my extra weight I should have less pitch. I cannot max out the RPS where it should be. Not much of a problem.
MacGregor 26M

Marc

Hey guys!  Everbody jump up and dow amd clap with joy, I have finally got my 1963 9.5 Johnson Seaking running!  Did it yesterday in a 42 gallon trash can, newplugs got spark changed out the fuel filter which a guy just north of tow happened to have a new one (free).  Went to wal mart ( II hate that place but was able to buy a 12 gallon tank a new fuel line with bulb pump new gas and oil, a lot og tinkering between my neighbor and I and by 2230 last night we had her running like brand new.  I even came home from work tonight and it started on the first pull!  That is really gonna save me a couple G's.  Maybe for electronics.  Just so excited I had to tell you guys.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nowell

On the topic of outboards, how do you guys store yours? Between my little apartment, and storage on the boat, I need to figure something out. Right now I keep it tied up and covered on the stern rail. I wish I had the ability to flush it after every use, and then put it on a stand, but its just not an option.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Marc

How about just storing it in your apartment, it would probably fit into a closet.  When I'm done working on my motor, it will be taken down into the basement for the winter.  I live in Iowa and snoe flurries are predicted for Thursday night.  Marc

Pappy Jack

Marc,

I didn't have to hear about the snow comming Thurs. night even though I know about it :'(. Every year the thought of winter comming gets harder and harder to take  >:( :P >:( ...oh well, my rant is over. By the way, I keep my O B on an old two wheeled hand cart that I modified to hold my Johnson 9.9 and keep it in the garage

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

P.S. If Winter is around the corner can Spring be far behind?  ;)

Marc

Pappy Jack spring will arrive as soon as saylorville ices out.   Marc    We should try to meet up this winter.

Tingira

Hi everyone, I am switching over to an outboard, probably a 6hp for my Islander 29.  Just wondering if anyone has any points of consideration they would like to offer up.  For this season I am going to use an adjustable motor mount on the transom. 

I am aware that the resale value would be greatly affected,

I also understand that there are some people that think this is a bad thing to do to a beautiful boat.

I am curious to know about how well they function powering a boat that size in good and bad weather.

To answer the "Why?'s" that will follow.. quite simply I have brought myself to say the most Un - Manly thing a guy can say... " I have to get rid of the motor.. its in the way of my new kitchen"  And its loud, smelly and unreliable to top it off.

Cheers

Paul

AdriftAtSea

The outboard will probably work in calm seas/good weather, but probably not be very useful in heavy seas/bad weather.  Also, make sure you beef up the transom where the outboard mount is going to attach and use a good solid backing plate to spread out the stress.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Tim

Of course bad weather typically means you have wind.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Tingira,

I think it is an excellent option.  Some disagree, however James Baldwin with his multiple trips around the globe and other experience advocates the 'outboard in a well' so weigh his opinion against others you hear.

The transom mounted outboard has some detractors, which have been discussed at length in this thread (I merged your post into the outboard thread).

I would suggest reading the thread from the beginning, I think you will find a good amount of information to base you decision on.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tingira

Quote from: s/v Faith on February 22, 2009, 06:29:33 PM
Tingira,

I think it is an excellent option.  Some disagree, however James Baldwin with his multiple trips around the globe and other experience advocates the 'outboard in a well' so weigh his opinion against others you hear.

The transom mounted outboard has some detractors, which have been discussed at length in this thread (I merged your post into the outboard thread).

I would suggest reading the thread from the beginning, I think you will find a good amount of information to base you decision on.

Thank you very much, I have been emailing back and forth with James about doing the outboard well thing, I am not ready/ qualified to do that conversion which is why I want to go with the transom mount this year.  I will read the thread, thanks for the help!

psyche

I was on the condo docks visiting James and Mei yesterday and looked at the Pearson 30/35 that he had built the well in. It looked original and they have not experienced the prop coming out of the water. They have had some problems with the Mercury though. When you are sailing you can remove the motor  and put the lid on the opening and store the motor on the lid. The problem is they have had some problems with oil draining into the carb. They have tried storing the motor in all 3 positions suggested by Mercury with the same problem. It does let you have a huge cavern of space for storage where the engine was. James used much of this space on Atom for a built in water tank. Dan

boatyardpirates

Dont waste your time/money building a well.  Buy a mount slap it on the back and go, life is too short.  Best advise I can give(I just did this this week) is to completely block it up before mounting.  You want the cavitation plate to be as low as possible but you still need to be able to reach the motor till comfortably.  I used a 1/2 in steel backing plate and 3/4 inch mount pad made of teak.  Thats 2" total for everything.  I am taking off the horrible plastic pad that is standard and replacing it with a teak one.  The Tohotsu extra long shaft is actually 27" not 25" and every bit helps.  Outboards are a total PIA but it will definately make you a better sailor. A friend of mine has a 6hp on his 33' 16k pound boat and sails more than anyone I know.  He also lives aboard in Friday Harbor Wa lots of tide.  see pictures at boatyardpirates.com under march newsletter.  Ali

Publius

this might be slightly off the main conversation on outboards

but what about those new electric trolling motors?  Easy to store, no fuel needs, rechargeable batteries.

though they might only go to 6hp at the moment, but perhaps one could link up two together? they are extremely light.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous seas of liberty" Thomas Jefferson

AdriftAtSea

The problem with electric trolling motors and things like the Torqeedo is range and cost.  They don't have much range, and the costs involved, in having a large enough battery bank, etc, are fairly prohibitive, especially if you're long-term cruising and don't have the option of charging the batteries using shorepower every night.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

As You Wish

This looks like to the place to ask this question. 

I have a 9.9 Nissan  2 stroke, which is carborated.  Unfortunately the fuel filter is the style built into the bowl.  I am planning on installing a additional filter on the line that runs from the portable tank to the engine.   Should the filter be ahead of or behind the priming bulb.   Or does it make a difference.

I presume an additional filter is not a bad idea. 

CharlieJ

We have ours before the primer bulb because that's where there is room. I doubt it makes much difference.

I do think it's a very good idea. I've had one on all the outboard boats I've owned and we carry several spares.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera