FINALLY got out on the water today

Started by Captain Smollett, March 04, 2007, 09:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Man, some of these missed sailing days have been KILLING me.  But today, the forecast was mid 50's, winds 10-15 with gusts to 30  :o and NOT A CLOUD IN THE SKY.

Told my wife, "I'd sure like to go sailing today."  She said, "Go."

:) :)

Reefed the main and headed out.  I was way underpowered in the lighter air, of course, but in the gusts she handled just fine.  I raised the jib for a time, but it was just too much in the gusts (probably a solid 25 kts), so I dropped it and lived with going slow between gusts.

Once I got into the main channel, it was more gust than lull anyway.   ;)

Not a bad way to spend 3 and a half hours on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

It's really interesting.  The first time I ever single handed was in winds not a lot different than this, though perhaps a little stronger on the sustained end.  I tried to sail reefed main only, and I got absolutely beat up.  I could not sail where I wanted to and had to "panic" motor off a lee shore - twice - since all I made was leeway.

I've come a long way since that first try.  Today it was a beam reach out of the cove, then close-hauled to explore a part of the lake I've never been to (due to EXTREMELY high water levels, I had to launch at a ramp I've never used).  I'll admit it took me a few tacks to figure out what she wanted in that trim and those breezes, but once I found the formula, we flew together in sync.  After a couple of hours, it was an easy broad reach back to the cove, ghosting up in the lee of the windward bank and sculled the last 50 yards to the dock.

No engine, no groundings, no terrified moments being pushed onto a lee shore (which today, due to the levels, was flooded woods).

I am glad I went sailing.   :) :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

maxiSwede

Sounds great captainsmollet.

Where are you
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Captain Smollett

Central South Carolina; for quick daysails like this, I sail an inland lake.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Do you keep your boat on the water or on a trailer?? Up here in lovely New England, most of our inland lakes have a couple of inches of ice on them at the moment, and it is supposed to reach a balmy 44˚ F today. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on March 05, 2007, 08:53:21 AM

Do you keep your boat on the water or on a trailer??

I trailer sail this boat.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina