Question about running with twin headsails

Started by Captain Smollett, March 23, 2007, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Does anyone know if you HAVE to have twin headstays to run with twin headsails?

Or, is it possible to either offset the hanks so both sails can be hanked to one stay or just set one 'flying' (probably the windward one, I'd guess)?

Thanks.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

sailor

it's possible with an offset, and with careful crew raising on two independent halyards.
Been on one boat with such setup and IMHO it was not worth the trouble.
They used it because they did not have a genoa (a drifter/screecher would be even better), but 4 working jibs.
On my own boat I would go big genny/drifter instead

AdriftAtSea

Most interesting sail I've seen was two identical jibs which were attached at the luff to be hoisted as a single unit.  They would use it as a single headsail with one set of sheets through both clews... or as twin headsails by using two sets of sheets.  It was a bizzare looking thing...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

skylark

Yes, you can put them on the same forestay. You have to alternate hanks from each sail (or otherwise keep the hanks in order so the sails set correctly).  This is usually done in trade wind conditions with one or two poles to hold the sails in place.  You can also bring the sheets back to the tiller and use the pressure from the sails to self steer the boat.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Captain Smollett

Quote from: skylark on March 23, 2007, 03:10:37 PM
Yes, you can put them on the same forestay. You have to alternate hanks from each sail (or otherwise keep the hanks in order so the sails set correctly). 

Thanks.   :)

This is usually done in trade wind conditions with one or two poles to hold the sails in place.  You can also bring the sheets back to the tiller and use the pressure from the sails to self steer the boat.

And that's EXACTLY why I was askin'.  I'd seen in several books (and videos) the use of twins thus used, and wondering if the boat had to be rigged with dual headstays to do it effectively and safely.

:) :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

John -

I did it that way (alternating hanks) on Epiphany a couple of times, also tried a free-flying jib once. It's not super hard to do, but it does take longer than a normal sail set/douse.

Dan - I've seen old ads for a foresail like that, and heard about a year ago that there were still folks making them. Seems like that could be a good thing to have  for the trades, where you are mostly running, but occasionally might want/need to head up for a while...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

The only downside I see to it is for upwind work, the sails would probably chafe on each other a bit, and the "effective sail" would be heavier than optimal for the wind. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

skylark

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on March 23, 2007, 01:30:00 PM
Most interesting sail I've seen was two identical jibs which were attached at the luff to be hoisted as a single unit.  They would use it as a single headsail with one set of sheets through both clews... or as twin headsails by using two sets of sheets.  It was a bizzare looking thing...

This is a favored rig for ultra small sailboats, the record breaker shortest sailboat to cross the ocean types.  No main, just a jib.  The mast is set up on the aft end of the boat and there is only one shroud, the forestay. There are two sheets, one from each of the two jibsails.

Downwind they run wing and wing, otherwise the two jibs fold together and act as one.

http://www.dromresan.com/hundvakt/so-du-it.shtml

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan