There are still uninhabited tropical isles...

Started by CapnK, January 22, 2008, 04:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

...not many, but they are out there...

Google Earthing my way to a place much warmer and sunnier than here... The inviting white sand beaches of Iles Maria.... Ahhh...

Just off the NW coast:  21°47'47.28"S, 154°43'15.27"W

Looks like I'd have to wait for just the right day, get in close to scout the reef for a place I could slip Katie's 3'6" draft through & between the coral heads at high tide...

;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

;D Gee thanks for blasting my afternoon to pieces  ;)  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

sailorflo

Hey you cant hog the last island for yourself, Good thing that you left the lat and long.
Flo / Marty, Got Milk and Shark Bait Tartan 37 #369

Auspicious

Swell.

You sent me off on a Google-fest. I can't find detail, only that the lagoon is reported to be "very shallow." Not sure if that means 2 feet or 8 feet. <grin> I might not fit in there. Heck, *YOU* may not fit in there.

I do think you just decided to fit a watermaker though. It is quite a way to anywhere. Have to spend some time on noonsite understanding French Polynesia immigration policy -- Tahiti is probably the last big place on the way to Isle Maria.

I did find Ocean Dots in Googling around which is very cool. They have an atoll gallery of pictures from low earth orbit of lots of atolls (not all - see their criteria for inclusion).
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CapnK

Dave - a solar still or two at bare minimum, if you were gonna hang out for a while... :)

I got to looking around down there because I wanted to see Raivavae, which Webb Chiles mentions in "Storm Passage", after he's left Tahiti the first time and is headed towards the Horn.

I tried looking at some others, but couldn't see them too well - I think Tim was in the way... ;)

Ocean Dots is a way cool site - Grog to ya fer that one! ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

One thing to note about the images at Ocean Dots: many of the images - almost all that I've seen - have been rotated away from their actual alignment in a N-S axis. Just an FYI, fer anybody looking at them... :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

sailorflo

Tim

Quote from: CapnK on January 23, 2008, 09:37:40 AM

I tried looking at some others, but couldn't see them too well - I think Tim was in the way... ;)

Cloaking device  ;) Keeps the riff-raff out ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Lynx

Just go south of Andros Island Bahamas, Uncharted and you are on your one. Also in the Bight of Abaco.
MacGregor 26M

Pappy Jack

Hey Lynx,

SSSHHHHHH ;D!!! Lets keep that info to ourselves!!!   :-X

Fair wind and full sails,

Pappy Jack

sailorflo

I think I,ve got a job in the abacos. I hope ::) ::)