News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tow Vehicles

Started by captedteach, January 24, 2006, 10:23:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captedteach

Reading about Wildmans 40mph white nuckle trip in a Scout made me wonder  What do you guys/gals use to tow your boat with?

I happen to have a Scout of 79 vintage that I used to tow the beachcats to FL and MS Gulf Coast for races for about three years.  I've also hooked it to a 28ft Bayliner with Fly Bridge to launch and recover at the lake here.  Now it just gets used for playing and if I need to drag something really heavy out of the water.  Current tow vehicle is a 99 Extended cab F150 which is much nicer on long trips although I cant sleep in it like I have done with the Scout.  I had planned to build a Aerostar van for going to the races - seating that converted to a bed, gear stowage, maybe a DVD player and a 300hp V8 for tow power. I've got all the stuff now but I just cant make myself build it.   I think the next tow rig is going to be a F250 SuperCrew with Diesel power - I keep buying bigger boats and the braking on the F150 is just not enuff
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Joe Pyrat

A Ford F600 with a modified car hauler trailer.  Shown here with a 31 ft. Bombay Clipper on the trailer.

Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

CapnK

Quote from: Joe Pyrat on January 24, 2006, 06:18:15 PM
A Ford F600 with a modified car hauler trailer.  Shown here with a 31 ft. Bombay Clipper on the trailer.

I bet the trailer tongue extension on that thing to get the boat deep enough to float is *huge*! ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Joe Pyrat

Actually we just use the F600 for moving the boats once we have them out of the water.  We use a specially designed tongue extension to get the trailer far enough out to float the boat, and a diver to adjust the bungs while she is in the water.  In the attached picture we were using a fairly healthy Dodge pickup to do the actual extraction.

Joe Pyrat

Coastal Cruiser

If you have not driven a Duramax diesel from GM, you are missing the boat. The International diesle and Allison transmission is a package that is superior to almost anything in its class.

wildman

Here's the lifted Scout and it's towing replacement, a 1969 International Travelall I bought off the internet.  The travelall has an extra 10 inches wheelbase that makes all the difference ( both have a 345 CID motor).  I still use both trucks weekly.

Paul Miller
s/v Lazy Susan
1987 Nimble 20 Yawl
Deland, FL

captedteach

That Travelall is nice lookin but that Scout is questionable - I'll get some pix of mine up when I drag it back out from behind the shop.  The carb is being werked on at the moment so it dont move too good
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Joe Pyrat

I think the Scout has character!  I can definitely see cruising Duval street in that beastie.   ;D
Joe Pyrat