a great sailor, ocean voyager, a legend in his own time

Started by Manannan, March 11, 2008, 09:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manannan

Bernard Moitessier was also a gifted writer and wrote 4 books describing his seagoing adventures. All of them have been translated in English.
I will recommend : the logical route, the long way, tamata and the alliance.He had reached a state of perfect partnership with his boat (Joshua). He lived in symbiosis with the universe he had chosen as his life's framework, and which was limited only by the horizon, ''which retreats as you sail toward it.'' The partnership was marked by modesty and respect for the rules of the game imposed by the sea. Bernard did not brave the elements; he merged with them.
. I have started to read his books around 12 when I was planning my great escape. I still read them once in a while. He has been a guru for many of us who were dreamers, had no money, no boats yet. Many of us built our boats and took off with no safety net, no idea of return. Many of us are still out there, still walking in his path.
Salut et fraternité, Bernard  ;)
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

Pappy Jack

Manannan,

I think your assessment of Bernard is spot on. I just reread "The Long Way" about three months ago and came to the same conclusion as you. Two great minds such as ours can not be wrong...right?

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Antioch

He is one of my heroes.. but I felt the book seemed more technical than emphasizing the story like, "A World of My Own" by Robin Knox Johnston.  I should probably give it another try, but it is almost like he wrote directions as to how he did what he did.

Worth having in your collection... I'd give it 5/5 for importance.. 3/5 readability. LOL

Robin

P   O    R    T    L    A   N    D    -    M    A    I    N    E