News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bridgedeck Project

Started by BobW, April 29, 2007, 02:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Yup...the space under the bridgedeck is open to the cabin.  At some point, I plan on adding a door to it...so that I can stuff it full of things and not have them fall out. ;)  But I haven't gotten around to doing that or building the new companionway ladder.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

LOOKIN GOOD !!!  Safer-usable ext 'counter'-more interior storage =WIN WIN WIN !! Nice job.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Thanks Frank... I'm very happy with it.... :D  Don't see a downside to it...since it actually provides more seating in the cockpit from what I've seen.  It was really important to me that the bridgedeck looked like it was part of the design of the boat... rather than just tacked on.  I think I've succeeded in that.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

BobW

Dan,

Your bridge deck looks great!  I only hope mine turns out as well.
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

AdriftAtSea

Thanks Bob.

If I had to do it over, I think the only thing I'd change is the anti-skid.  I think it would have been a lot more work but it would have looked better if I had molded in the same anti-skid pattern as the rest of the cockpit... but that would have been a lot more work and I don't think my gelcoat skills are up to it.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CapnK

The Ariel has a nice bridge deck as is, but I have extended mine about 2' aft for the last several months to see what it would be like. I like it, lots. So do the CrewDogs. ;) They can sit more comfortably to stare down at me belowdecks... It'll make the amount of water the cockpit can hold a lot less, and still leaves a sizeable space for the feet, if you wanna sit up.

Right now I have just extended the top aft with some wood, basically bridging the cockpit. I have been going back and forth with internal dialog on whether to make the space an internal space (accessible from the cabin) or an external space (accessible from cockpit only).

Maybe I'll just put a head there. Great views! ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Hmmmm, extending the bridgedeck really isn't an option with mine because it would then require a contortionist to get below ;D The hard dodger requires bending over as it is.

Aren't your cockpit drains forward also Kurt? I guess you would have to redo them for sure. I am considering adding some in the rear since I will be reworking the laz for the propane locker.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Quote from: Tim on February 26, 2009, 01:03:35 AM
Aren't your cockpit drains forward also Kurt? I guess you would have to redo them for sure. I am considering adding some in the rear since I will be reworking the laz for the propane locker.

I see a couple options for Kurt's bridge deck re-work.  The original drains could simply be re-located (new drains attached to the original through hulls).  THey could be moved aft like CJ has done, or a combination of the two.  Someone on the Ariel site had added a single drain aft, which IMHO is a good place for a drain.

Keep in mind that stern squat underway is pretty common on Alberg drawn boats, and I suspect also on Rhodes.  The overhangs do not really produce much buoyancy until they are under water.   If the boat floats level, sailing into chop will tend to raise the bow slightly, and motoring certainly lowers the stern (worse if you are throttled up).  Crew in the cockpit will be a factor also.

It seem to me that it is more likely if you block off a couple feet of your cockpit well, since you will tend to sit aft.  One other concern with extending the bridge deck is your 'driving' position.  I tend to stay forward, both for trim sake and to take advantage of the dodger.  For me, the stowage behind the bridge deck was not a good fit, I sure like the idea of it though. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

When we are in a situation where we'll be motoring long distances, we carry a pair of 5 gallon fuel jugs forward in the cockpit. One each side of the compass. Otherwise that space is empty.

We both hate having them there but I absolutely refuse to set any kind of jugs on the side decks and lashed to stanchions.

On one trip to Florida, we carried the jugs while crossing La, then gave several away in Florida. That was back when we had a 2 stroke engine and HAD to carry a bunch more fuel than we do now, with the 4 stroke.

And My Bad-  ::)

I just realized reading this that I never posted the pics I promised, although I did post pics of the companionway rebuild somewhere. I'll see if I can get them together later today.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

One thing I've found with my bridgedeck is that it gave me more usable seating in the cockpit.  Where the steps were located, wasn't usable since they were too narrow for most people.  The bridgedeck added a four-foot wide bench at the front of the cockpit that is out of the way of the helmsman.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CapnK

Yep, sticking them aft, a la Tehani. Big ones, too! :)

Also going to build up the forward edge of the remaining cockpit floor to help the water go that way. Side bonus - it'll stiffen up the floor (not that I have noticed any flexing, but other Ariel owners have remarked on that...)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Tehani's were originally aft, in each corner of the cockpit- tiny ones. They drained into the well. Here's a pic of the original hole I think it was 5/8ths, maybe 3/4. The new ones are 1 5/8 ID.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

The boat came with two 1.5" cockpit drains, I've increased it to three. The newer Telstars have a really nice cockpit drain—a 8" wide x 1" high slot that passes through the transom to the swim platform, which probably drains even faster than my three drains do. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran