Main Menu

cutting lexan??

Started by Frank, March 19, 2007, 11:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Is there an easy way to cut lexan...what blade etc??   THANKS
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

skylark

Use a jigsaw with a metal blade.  Go slow, the lexan dust will melt if you push it hard.  It seems to work better if you create dust instead of melted globs
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Bubba the Pirate

Depending on the thickness you're cutting, I would recommend a table saw with a carbide tooth blade for all but the very thinnest [like <.25"].   

Going slow is key.

.25" and below you might be able to score it with a utility knife and a straightedge and then break it. 

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AdriftAtSea

Use a cutting guide for any straight sections you have to cut, since the blade can wander a bit otherwise.  Go slow and use as fine-toothed a blade as you can get.  I seem to remember either waxing the blade or something like that to help reduce the heat generated was also recommended...

Generally, for the thin stuff...scoring and snapping is the easiest and fastest way to "cut" it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

piece of cake.

Lexan cuts well with most anything. Jig saw, band saw, table saw. just run it through.

Key is to be sure it's flat and doesn't vibrate. You can also score and break, but I find cutting is easier.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Parrothead

Try using Ivory Soap as a lube.