News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Easy Provisioning

Started by carsail1260, June 29, 2007, 05:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carsail1260

Hi Everyone.  We cruise in our little 25 footer weeks at a time. We know how to cook, but it's not our favorite thing to do in a boat. We are both thin & fit and do not need to diet.  I am telling you this because I can tell you the easiest way we have found to carry 2 weeks worth of food for 2 people in a 25 'boat with no refrigeration is to order 1 month of Nutrisystem :o. Yes, Nutrisystem!Most of the food is pretty good if you order ala carte and get what you like. It costs about 10 bucks a day, everything can be cooked in 5 minutes in a skillet of boiling water or adding boiling water.  We take all the dinners out of their boxes & then transfer the contents into locking plastic storage containers so we don't need very much space for 28 days of complete meals. No mess, no dishes accept forks & spoons, no refrigeration & I can eat Lasagne while my husband has Pot Roast. If we choose to eat in a restuarant, we don't waste any of our meals, they last for about 6 months due to their "soft" canning process. We never have to wonder if we have all the ingredients to make the dish we are cooking, and no one is stuck preparing meals, while the other is out socializing, having fun and drinking all the beer!
Try it, I think you'll be suprised!
Cheers,
Carsail1260
"Yolo" Cape Dory 25D 1983
Carsail1260@yahoo.com
"Glee"  28' Catalina
Bradenton, FL

AdriftAtSea

Interesting approach.  I may have to try it for a trip later this summer.  How much space does a 28-day pack take up roughly??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

I was wondering the same about space. I was looking at dehydrated. 1 coffie can size is about 7 good size meals. 30 days at 3 meals a day = 90 meals by 7 = 13 cans per month. 6 months supply would be 78 cans (about 4 feet x 4 feet). Of course you would need water.  At $ 7 per can plus shipping would be around $ 900 - $ 700 for 1 person for 6 months.

MacGregor 26M

carsail1260

A nutrisystem dinner takes up about 6'' x 4" x 1  1/2". The lunches are either dehydrated in 2 cup round containers or 1 cup ready to eat  round containers.  Breakfasts are either dehydrated eggs in a 2 cup round container(you can use to make "ziplock" omelets-see my recipe in the Ziplock thread), breakfast bars, oatmeal(individual packs), or muffins(2 per pack).  We fit all of our 28 days in a 24"w x 7"d x 36" l. You don't really need to keep it in a plastic container, but we leave  food on board we haven't used when we get to our dock & our neighbor's fishing boat has had a rodent problem.  We just don't want them to get the scent & come over to our place! It takes some stuffing around the edges with the breakfasts but everything fits.  We haven't found an easier way to fit everything in our boat &  it seems that something in a recipe we like always seems to need refrigeration.
The thing is the food is pretty good.  Our favorites are Mushroom Risotto, Lasgne,Spinach Ravoli,Chicken Fettucine Alfredo, the Cajun Sausage & Rice, Meatloaf & Mashed Potatoes & the Tuna Casserole.  We don't care for the pizza(need an oven to make it taste good)or the hot dogs. Our lunches mainly consist of Chicken Caccatorrie, Cheesy Potatoes with Broccoli, Sweet Potatoes & Cheese, Pasta Parmesean, and most of the soups. 
Carsail1260@yahoo.com
"Glee"  28' Catalina
Bradenton, FL

CharlieJ

Good thoughts.

I wish people would put the general area of where they sail, and the kind of boat, in the signature block.

I dug around and found where carsail1260 mentioned in one post that the boat was a CD 25. It sure is nicer to see that info in the signature- only takes a second to change it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

hearsejr

so for like 30 days it would cost like $300 right? ($10 a day) I was into M.R.E.'s but they will put weight on you fast. how do you get started with Nutrisystem ? anyone have any advice with them for us North Carolina folks?
Bill

carsail1260

Get on www.nutrisystem.com. You can order online & get an extra week of food free if you sign up for auto ship.  You can cancel the autoship after you get your 1st month of food.  They have pre-made packages for people who don't want to choose there own meals, but we customize our order so we don't get things we don't want.  Part of the package is deserts for instance, and while we love chocolate, the chocolate bars & chocolate cherry cordials will melt in the heat.  Stick with the cookies, non-chocolate desert bars, puddings & chips.  It costs $278. for 28 days including shipping.
Carsail1260@yahoo.com
"Glee"  28' Catalina
Bradenton, FL