News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Ziplock bags

Started by Parrothead, May 12, 2007, 12:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Just be aware that not all ziplock type bags are really suitable for food storage, if that is your intended purpose.  I prefer small hard plastic containers to ziplock bags, since they're far more durable and the seals tend to be better.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

We use hard plastic containers also, but we also make use of the vacumn bagger for MANY things. Those things are so neat I feel that we'll more than likely stow ours aboard when we go on longer cruises, for use when we have AC power available to us.

Ziploc bags are NOT air tight- NONE of them- not really.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I like my vacuum sealer too. :D Got it as a birthday present. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Lynx

My major thing for zip lock bags is to keep things together, like spices, small food stuff, or keep the extra stuff of bulk and small spair parts. I rarely use them as the primary food storage. I have found some of them make the food taste strange.
MacGregor 26M

cubemonkey

We have used the large gallon size ziplock bags for packing dry clean clothing. It makes it very easy to find stuff, since you can write on the outside. Also saves space since you can compress it and squeeze out a lot of air. On the Easy Go trip down to the Caribbean, we had to bring seasonal clothing as well, so it was nice to know that the shorts I took out on Day 10 were nice and dry and still looked pressed. And as bags emptied, they held the dirty laundry, which kept everything segregated in the duffles.

On Averisera, we don't have any clothing storage bins or drawers, so I assume we'll keep doing the same thing.

-elizabeth
s/v Averisera
Aphrodite 101
Hull #264
Boston, MA

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life,
the laws of the universe will be simpler."

-Henry David Thoreau

AdriftAtSea

for clothing, I like to use the travel bags that have the one-way air valve that allow you to roll-up the bag and squeeze out all the air.  They're  a good deal larger than the gallon size bag and are more convenient to pack with.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

cubemonkey

Hi Dan,
I saw those in my credit card statement this month. Free 'cept for $9.97 in S/H. Maybe I will give them a try.
-elizabeth
s/v Averisera
Aphrodite 101
Hull #264
Boston, MA

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life,
the laws of the universe will be simpler."

-Henry David Thoreau

Auspicious

I use Ziplocs for short term convenience storage. The vacuum sealer is the bomb for the freezer. I buy stuff in bulk at Costco and split it up into separate sealed bags for the freezer. I use Snap-n-Loc containers for leftovers and reefer storage of things like Feta cheese.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

carsail1260

Hi Folkst! I am a new to the board.  We have a 1983 Cape Dory 25D we are getting ready to sail to the Bahamas & beyond this November.  I have another great use for ziplocks.  These are the best omelets you'll ever eat & no mess or grease:
1. Boil a pot of water
2. Take a small size ziplock & crack 2 eggs into it.
3. Add your veggies, meat, cheese, salsa, whatever...
4. Close ziplock & use your hands to squish the bag around and mix the ingredients
5. Take the sealed bag & drop it in the pot of boiling water.  You can do two at a time in a 4 qt pressure cooker.
6. Let it cook about 5 minutes, take the ziplock out of the water, open it up & slide your omelet onto the plate.
I know it sounds wierd, but they are really delicious!! 
Carsail1260@yahoo.com
"Glee"  28' Catalina
Bradenton, FL

s/v Faith

Quote from: carsail1260 on June 28, 2007, 11:36:27 AM
Hi Folkst! I am a new to the board.  We have a 1983 Cape Dory 25D we are getting ready to sail to the Bahamas & beyond this November.

Welcome aboard~!

Hope to see you there.

What is the name of your boat?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: carsail1260 on June 28, 2007, 11:36:27 AM

These are the best omelets you'll ever eat & no mess or grease:

Great stuff.  Thanks!!  My wife LOVES omelets.

Welcome to the board, and have some Grog!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

carsail1260

Hi again!  Our little Cape Dory's name is Yolo.  I have another tip for the galley, I think I will start a new thread though, since it isn't about Zip locks.
Carsail1260@yahoo.com
"Glee"  28' Catalina
Bradenton, FL

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)