Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

MAS Resin Question

Started by Captain Smollett, August 02, 2007, 01:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I was looking at the MAS epoxy resin sold by Defender.com and was wondering -

Does anyone know if that comes with hardener?  I looked around the site and did not see that hardener listed.  Perhaps I just missed it?

Also, on the topic, what is everyone's favorite fairing filler?  I am planning to use the MAS microballoons.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Capn Smollett-

Believe the hardener is sold separately, much like the West Systems products are.  You can get the hardener at here, here, or  here.  Given summer temperatures, you might want to use the slow hardener, to have a bit more working time—it is the first link above.

If you are fairing something that will be underwater, I wouldn't use the microballon filler, since I believe that the microballoon filler can absorb water.  I would use the MAS milled fiberglass filler instead.  You can find it here. I think the fiberglass filler is a bit easier to fair than the cab-o-sil filler.  :D

Hope that helps.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 02, 2007, 02:29:48 PM

Believe the hardener is sold separately...  You can get the hardener at here, here, or  here

D'oh.  The page I was looking at listed hardeners for the OTHER resins they sell, but not the MAS   ???  - hence my supposition that maybe the MAS resin came with the hardener.  I have now found the actual "Hardeners" page, and of course, the MAS products are there, clear as a bell.

Oh well.

:-[ :-[ :-[
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

LOL... we all have those moments...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more