News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

keeping cool in summer

Started by starcrest, January 28, 2006, 09:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starcrest

when I was at the marina in lake okeechobee,man I tell you it was too too hot in summer not even an airconditioner was enough.this marina was way inland on a fresh water lake,you coulda fried a steak on the concrete walk way.one airconditioner was not enuff.I never tried two,but it woulda activated circuit breakers.that marina was destroyed in 2004.hurricane jean.it was an act of god ..... as the new marina owners doubled the fees.at first I paid a total if 147.70 per month for everything,,,,,,live aboard electric,slipfees.then the new owners come and it was pretty much doubled.they were going to charge more for a second a/c unit.now I am a stones throw from the east coast.perfect.20 miles from work(compaired to a previous 80) and a single a/c is all that is needed.remember the water here on the east coast is very warm.no a/c was needed at all when I was in california......but then again....."sneaking aboard will not be tolerated"say that with a nazzi germany accent.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

CapnK

Eric - I keep one of those pump-up sprayers handy - it shoots a fine mist that helps cool you off. A little water on the skin, and either a breeze or a fan makes things comfy. I may be a bit more adapted to it, since I grew up here. I'm the only liveaboard with no A/C in the marina. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Solace

Anybody had any experience with the Kruisin Kool air conditioner? That's what I have. Long story on how I came to collect it. It is 7000 BTU and cools quite nicely, even on the hottest days. However, it is built into a suitcase, it is a pain in the ass to stow - its a large suitcase. It works and the price was right to me so I live with it. I would much prefer having one built in - but this is a small boat site right - well I have a small boat.

Cheers

John

Adam

It may be only because I'm from the Keys and acclimated to the heat, or the fact that I seldom stay at marinas, but I haven't had any a/c on my personal boats (necessary on the charter boats back when I had that business)...  a little 12v fan and a windscoop (hatch screens too!) kept me perfectly cool and also kept the boat from smelling like an old wet shoe...

Pixie Dust

The neck wraps that you soak in cold water and then tie around your neck really work great too.
My friend had the Kruisin Kool on her boat, but she had the same complaints regarding size.  She also said it did not cool her boat very well.  She ended up having AC put in her boat.  She has a 34' Morgan OI.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

kregar

I lived on a couple of boats in the USVI..  Never used AC..  If it got too hot, we went to the beach or to the one air conditioned bar on the island!  ;D

Now that I am oh so close to moving on a boat full time here in NW Florida, I have been contemplating this..  I am gonna do my best to live without, but don't want to go to work dripping in sweat!  If I could just qui working..................... :D

kregar

Jack Tar

Please explain A/C I live in the PNW
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

starcrest

buying an a/c up there is like an eskimo buying ice.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"

CapnK

Jack -

Up in the PNW, I imagine that the cool Humboldt Current waters act as an Air Conditioner, at least for folks on boats. ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Coastal Cruiser

Keeping cool in the summer?  ???What the beer?  ;D

or visit cool places in the summertime.

CharlieJ

in several years of living aboard, and cruising, from the Chesapeake down to the keys and back, the ONLY time we really experienced problems with heat was when we were tied up next to a dock. Anchored out was always fairly cool. If it gets too hot below, just sleep in the cockpit or on deck if there is room.

We have had  the same experience aboard Necssity, our previous 21 footer and aboard Tehani. In a slip or at a dock can be hot- anchored out is usually comfortable.

I'm sure you'll hit the occasional hot still night, but by and large, just a fan will do the trick.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

starcrest

Quote from: CapnK on February 05, 2006, 10:03:50 AM
Jack -

Up in the PNW, I imagine that the cool Humboldt Current waters act as an Air Conditioner, at least for folks on boats. ;D
thats how perishable food items stay fresh longer.

CapnK

I've a feeling that this little gem will get much use as a cooling device this summer onboard my boat... :)

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=301.0

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Coleman 'Cool Zephyr' ceiling fan with light

So I am walking through my local camping goods department and I see a battery powered fan.  Don't think too much of it, because the one I have has a base it must set on, and when you are trying to lay in a sette, there is no where to set it.

THis one cought my eye, as it has a led light built into it.

Then I see that it is a celing fan intended to be suspended over you head in a tent.   ;)

(not a great picture).

The package says;

• Attaches to any tent ceiling using magnetic plate or carabiner clip (included)
• Four D batteries required (Batteries not included)
• Approximate run time is up to 24 hours on HIGH or 48 hours on LOW
• Features 4 white LED lights and one amber LED night light
• Fan and light are operated with independent controls
• Features soft-to-touch foam blades
• Dimensions: 9" Height (when hung), 8" Diameter
• 1-Year warranty

Cool, so there is no price.  I figure it will be about $20.  I take it up to the counter, and they do a price check..... $4!  I buy two.  I think that was a mis-price as their website lists it at MSRP of $24.99.

I will hang them from my grab rails, and think it will be just the ticket when there is no breeze at anchor....  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Took a couple of pictures, to give you an idea of what it looks like;

Here is one that shows the lights.  They are LED's so the power use should be low.

In the pic, the 4 outter (white) led's are lit.  There is also an amber 'night light' in the center that comes on by it's self.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

captedteach

Quote from: Coastal Cruiser on February 05, 2006, 10:14:48 AM
Keeping cool in the summer?  ???What the beer?  ;D

or visit cool places in the summertime.

Thats just SOOOOOO Wrong - I hate having to put on a 3mil suit to dive  Cant even immagine chopping a hole in the ice to go in  BRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrKold
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

hearsejr

didn't popular science do a story on personal A/C's?  you put the around your neck and and they ran off batteries.