Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Winter plans ???

Started by Lynx, August 09, 2007, 09:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Who is planning a cruise this winter?

I am cruising Abaco's this winter. Leaving before Nov 15.
MacGregor 26M

Frank

see ya over there. I hope to be around Green Turtle erea mid Jan. Then cruising from there to Little Harbour and back. Hope to see ya along the way....we might see 'Faith' too :)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lynx

I in the last stage of outfitting my boat. Just a few more things to buy and some more things to put in. In about 1 month I will load and I am off. Can hardly waite.
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

Without racing other people's boats, I'll have more time to sail my own on the Chesapeake. Some good long underwear, a thermos of hot soap, and the Bay to myself. Priceless. <grin>
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Frank

Ok crew...it's been a lil quiet here lately.What are everyones off season plans?? New destinations? Traler to warmer waters? Neet renovations? Finally getting to some maintainance projects? Share..............................pics weclome  ;)

CharlieJ

This next week, I'll finish the Core Sound 20 for my customer.

We've been managing to get some maintenance stuff done, at least LAURA has. She's gotten all the bright work redone, the toe rails and anchor platform oiled and the cockpit lockers cleaned out. We're scratching our heads about how to better utilize those spaces- instead of having two huge caves where everything goes to the bottom.

I'm making some small progress on the wind vane steerer I'm building. Pics when I get more worth shooting pics of- right now it's a bunch of parts.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

It will be interesting to see what you 2 come up with for better utilization of locker space.Its always an adventure getting things in/out. Hows the Core Sound 20 looking? What colour is chosen?

skylark

I finally got back to my sharpie sailboat project today.  Got a lot done.  The project has been languishing for a couple years, but now maybe I can push to get it done this winter.  Ideally I will be able to go from a 28 footer to a 14 footer, if the new boat works the way I hope it will.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Sprayed what should be the last coat today. Install the rub rails and the customer is coming on Friday next to take delivery.

Here's a picture of the paint. The boat is hanging from a pair of chain falls

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Mostly work, on my boat, and OPB's, and computer/web stuff...

Same dilemma here as to deep storage. Here's an idea I have had for up in the vberth area, might not work so well for cockpit, because of the limits of the cockpit seat openings...

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

we are toying with adding transverse half height bulkheads in at least one locker- making sections- for fenders in one, dock lines in one, extra life jackets in one, a spare rode or two in one, etc. Then a shelf to the outboard side for long items like the boat hook and the long handled scrub brush, stuff like that.

Gonna make some cardboard patterns and see how it looks.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

BobW

I've been struggling along working on a couple of projects and preparing for the Three Bridge Fiasco race next month in San Francisco Bay.

Normally my brother-in-law and I make the trip down the San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers from Owl Harbor to the Bay.  We leave early Thursday morning, overnight at Benicia or Martinez, and complete the trip on Friday.  We take part in the race on Saturday and return to Owl Harbor on Sunday and Monday (if needed). 

Two things will change the trip this time.  I'm planning to berth Prelude in Berkeley next year, so there will be no return trip to Owl Harbor.  Because the tides are against us this year, I plan to single-hand Prelude to Benicia or Martinez the Sunday before the race.  My brother-in-law and I will then finish the trip to Berkeley on Friday.  It'll be more of a series of day sails rather than a "trip."

The main project I am working on is a motor lift to raise the outboard out of the well while we are sailing.  I am making progress but a couple of bouts of back spasms have hampered the work.  Here is a pic of the lift base in rough form showing how the rails  are secured in the base.

The motor board has since been cut down from the U-shape shown to a more conventional rectangular shape.

The base will be incorporated into a rebuilt well, and will be braced to the deck aft of the laz hatch. 

I absolutely have to get this project done or there will be no trip to the Bay in January!

Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

good luck bob...

This winter has a few small projects, like upgrading the deck-level nav lights, adding a steaming/foredeck light, increasing the battery bank and adding an inverter/charger.

I might also re-rig the boat with the lines led aft to the cockpit, but not 100% sure if I'm going to do this yet.

Most of the really major projects got done last year. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

fullkeeldan

Greetings to all,
Besides keeping the driveway clear of snow, the wife and kids happy, I was lucky enough to come across a heated, well-lit workshop for "cheap".
In it is a 1978 Nordica 20 stripped down to bare hull.
Will start the rebuild after the holidays.
Picked her up in September after a few years of sailing around on the N16.
Sturdy little boats.

Thanks for the site guys (?) have been lurking for a bit.

Dan
No placebos for me, I prefer to cheat

AdriftAtSea

did the workshop come with the boat, or vice versa?? :) 

Congrats on the new to you boat... love to see some photos of the work you're doing.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

Welcome Dan. those lil nordica 20's are a fine cruiser....tough boat.Post a pic or 2

fullkeeldan

Will try, but I am definately not computer savvy and lack of high speed in my part of the Ontario bush is a real killer.
As for the workshop, got a deal on that as I have a couple cars stored at his place in another building. Workshop is to assemble planes but nobody was building one this year much to my delight.

Cheers,
Dan
outside of Barrie
No placebos for me, I prefer to cheat

CapnK

*Neat* boat, Dan. Welcome aboard, we'll look forward to hearing (f we can't be 'seeing') about your progress!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Trying to cram 2 weeks work into 3 days to 'get outta here'. The Bahamas and Jubilee are calling.Hoping to be back to her by Jan 6th +/-. I keep saying "next year I'll be better prepared".....well, I guess there is always next year ;D.