News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Summer plans???

Started by Frank, July 07, 2007, 01:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

OK...it's now july. What are your plans/destinations?Where are ya going this summer...where have ya been so far?? What have ya seen?? Don't forget pics...we need some nice motivating pics to get everyone inspired to go cruising.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

working to pay off bills ;D

With the hope of making a prolonged cruise of several months later in the year. We have HOPES of being in the Tortugas late Nov, early Dec, then into the keys and across to the Bahamas.

That's the hopes anyway.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Joe Pyrat

I'm kind of in the same boat Charlie.  We are trying to get all the finances in order so I can retire in December and be ready to start the endless cruise sometime in April '08.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Frank

Charlie...if that puts you and Laura in the Bahamas Jan. on.......we'll see ya there.Just look for the grey haired guy on the 'little boat' ;)

hearsejr

I am not sure when I'll get this law suit stuff done, but as soon as they settle or we get out of the court room, I will buy a bag of ice and head to the boat ramp point the bow towards Bahama and cut the dock lines with a hatchet! (maybe it'll be around Nov..we can dream here right?)

Lynx

Same with me, need some more money and cross in Early Nov to West end. Can hardly waite to get out of the job and into Abacos.
MacGregor 26M

Captain Smollett

Well, I've got to get the mechanical propulsion working on the boat before we do much of anything.   >:(
(rebuilt the carb because it was leaking, and it still leaked, then found the float bowl itself was cracked!!)

But, after that, we plan to do some short weekend trips in the Winyah Bay area while we get wife and two children used to the Alberg.

Our first big trip is planned for October.  We've got nine days to do some coastal cruising and sightseeing in the Charleston area.

Also, my wife has a professional meeting in Savannah, GA in September, and we plan to take the trailerable to do some daysailing.  We'll be staying on Tybee Island and jumping off from there.   :)

So, no BIG stuff planned for us this summer.  It's mostly shakedown and familiarization with the new boat.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

Last month I bought a new house that is in need of some serious renovation.  The bathroom is gutted now (there is only one); but I hope to have that done by the end of July.  Fingers crossed.  After that my disaster of a kitchen needs work.  Throw a million other projects in there as well.

I'm also expecting to receive shortly an offer for a new position (same company) that will have me shipped off for three weeks of training (at first, more to come).

So, I won't be disappearing into the wild blue yonder any time soon.  However, I still have plans for a one week (add on an extra weekend for maybe 9 days) cruise down the Chesapeake, which is scaled back a week from the initial plan.  Ah, well.  Life. 

The good news?  The new job should eventually mean more money (I'm expecting a promotion within six months, again, fingers crossed), and next year will be my tenth anniversary with the company which means four weeks vacation plus 6 personal holidays.  If I keep on my home renovation schedule, most of the major projects should be long done by next summer.

The key is to find enough time to get out sailing this summer to keep me sane.  At least the sailing season is longer here than in my old New England sailing grounds!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

I live right on the Ottawa river, but find I take it for granted as it is 'home'. Its been years since I've done the tour, so am planning on trailering up river and put in just below the dam and taking 4 days to cruise home. Should probably seem all new as its been too long since I've done it. Been finding these lil trailersailing get aways to be a stress free blast. No big provisioning or planning.....just load up and go. Once home..clean out the boat and tarp it till next trip.Gotta love it. There are a few Monty 15ft guys planning a week on Lake Champlain in late August...hope to join in too.

Frank

Adam...those darn house duties.....always seem to get in the way.Hopefully a few weekend trips can be had.When I kept my boat at a marina here a few years back...on stress weeks I'd go down, spend a nice evening on the boat,do an overnight at the marina and back to work the next day. Even that felt great in crazy times.    Capt S.....Charleston is a wonderful erea...watch out for the LONG jetties going out tho. They are awash at high tide. Lots of great things to see around there...have fun.

K3v1n

Finished my ASA Basic Keel boat class this weekend...which I passed.
Had fun sailing a Pearson 26, now I really want a bigger boat!

Plans for the summer? Well first up is an overnight this coming weekend and I'd still like to get out for a long weekend cruise, say Friday to Sunday.

But mostly I'll be practicing what I learned and getting ready for the Basic Cruising course that I'm thinking of taking in September. Oh...and I'll still be window shopping for boats. ;)

-Kevin

Zen

Congrats, welcome to the club.

If you have any questions on the BCC feel free to ask. The written test is more complex! Been there did that  ;)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

AdriftAtSea

Well... I've got a few more projects to finish up... then I'm putting the Pretty Gee back where she belongs—in the water. 

After a few local daysails to shake down the new modifications, I am planning on taking a trip down to the Chesapeake with her  to visit my in-laws down in the Tidewater region of Virginia. 

Then I am planning on going up the Chesapeake, and bringing her by the factory where she was made to show them some of the bigger modifications I've made to her, particularly the new bridge deck. :D 

Then, up to the C&D canal and out to the Atlantic and back home.

If the weather cooperates, I hope to have the rest of the work done in the next two weeks. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Godot

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on July 08, 2007, 09:43:10 PM

Then I am planning on going up the Chesapeake, and bringing her by the factory where she was made to show them some of the bigger modifications I've made to her, particularly the new bridge deck. :D 

If it looks like you will have some time when near Baltimore drop a line.  I'd be very interested in checking out your Telstar.

Heck, if my bathroom is finally finished, I'd offer you a free shower as well.  If it's not done I suppose I could offer you a swim in the laundry tub; but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.   ::)

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

AdriftAtSea

s/v Godot-

My plans are fairly open-ended at this point, so I will try and get up to Baltimore to see you.  :D 

I'd like to meet a few of the sailfar.net posters who are in the Chesapeake area, so will post my plans when I have them firmed up a bit. 

I think I'll be using the "Nutrisystem packaged" food idea that someone posted previously.  Looks like a pretty simple way to get much of the logistics for the galley done easily, if not the most cost effective...still reasonably priced.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Auspicious

I'll be out on the Bay the weekend of 27 - 29 July. Destination will depend on wind and weather, but likely to be either behind Dobbins Island on the Magothy or Swan Creek above Rock Hall. If we have northerly's it could be St. Michaels. I'd be happy to anchor a raft-up if anyone wants to meet up.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Godot

Quote from: Auspicious on July 10, 2007, 11:39:18 AM
I'll be out on the Bay the weekend of 27 - 29 July. Destination will depend on wind and weather, but likely to be either behind Dobbins Island on the Magothy or Swan Creek above Rock Hall. If we have northerly's it could be St. Michaels. I'd be happy to anchor a raft-up if anyone wants to meet up.

Well now, this might be something I can do.  Magothy and Rock Hall are both easy one day sails for me.  If the weather and work (why doesn't the bad word filter change THAT particular four letter word) cooperate I think it would be cool.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

skylark

The most difficult part of the summer is behind us (3 birthday weekends and independence day weekend commitments), now if the weather cooperates it is time to put the sails on and get out on the water.  The boat is ready, it just needs cleaning and a little paint...(and a never ending list of little things). 

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan