News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sliding Hatch/Drop Board locks

Started by Captain Smollett, September 17, 2007, 10:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I'm wondering what everyone here is using to lock their companionway and how secure you believe your system would be for leaving the boat for a day or two in high-theft areas.

Presently, I have a typical padlock set-up, but would prefer to go to a deadbolt.  Any brand/source recommendations?

I'd LOVE to have a combination lock so I don't have to worry about losing/forgetting a key, but combination deadbolts are both expensive and bulky (at least the ones I've found).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

we have a bronze strap that pivots on a bolt in the bottom edge of the slide- there is a notch for it in the upper drop board for the strap to stick through- about 3/4 inch down from the top- the lock drops through that. The only thing that shows is the rounded end of that strap and the padlock itself.

But that would only keep honest people out- a real crook would be inside MOST  boats in 30 seconds with a small wreccking bar or even a large screw driver- just stick it in between the drops and the wooden tracks and crack off that lip.

If you are seriously interested in safety-ing your companionway and fore hatch, both while aboard and while away, take a look at the set up James Baldwin uses on Atom. EXCELLENT ideas there

http://www.atomvoyages.com/

Look under "articles by James Baldwin" for the one on "improving your companionway"
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I use two different methods of locking the sliding hatch/companionway. 

When I'm not on the boat, I use a padlock that goes through the track that the sliding hatch uses.  This prevents the sliding hatch from opening.  The drop boards have security pins that hold them in position, so even if the sliding hatch is slid forward a bit, it isn't possible to lift them out of their track.   The security pins are just 1/4" fast pins that go through the interior dropboard rail through the dropboard and into a socket in the outer part of the drop rail. 

When I am on the boat, I use the fast pins and switch the top board out for one that has a deadbolt on it. The deadbolt locks into a receiver that is mounted on the interior of the sliding hatch. I didn't install the key cylinder for the deadbolt to help prevent water entry into the lock.  It is the kind on the left in the drawing.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

Interesting, Dan.  I have not given a whole lot of thought to locking the boat while I am aboard.  What thought I HAVE given for this was in regard to keeping the little ones IN rather than others out.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Nor had I.

I've never been anchored in a foriegn port it's true, but in 2 1/2 years of living aboard, both tied to a dock and anchored out, from Annapolis Maryland to Port Aransas Texas (so far) I NEVER felt the need to lock the companionway while I was aboard.

In our trips across the gulf coast, to Florida and return, we never thought about locking the boat while aboard.

I doubt the thought has even crossed Laura's mind while she's been out on this trip either and she has been in several spots where people knew there was only a single female aboard- in the marina to be exact.

Maybe we just sail in safer spots than others do?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 17, 2007, 05:32:06 PM

Maybe we just sail in safer spots than others do?

Maybe that's part of it...but I think for MOST would-be thieves, boarding an occupied boat is a higher risk than one clearly unattended. Nothing like the thought of getting gaffed, stabbed or shot to make one wary of trying to steal a couple hundred dollars of loose gear.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

Part of the reason I setup a system to lock the sliding hatch is for dealing with heavy seas and weather.  If you're stuck in a heavy storm, and riding it out on a JSD, the last thing you want is to have the interior of the boat get soaked by the sliding hatch opening inadvertently.  That's also the reason I made the fast pins for locking the drop boards in place.  However, the dropboard locks may be a bit more important on a monohull—where the likelihood of a knockdown is much higher.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

and that's an excellent reason. And before Laura and I do much offshore sailing ours will be dog-able also.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera