News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Milk aboard...

Started by Delezynski, May 11, 2008, 04:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delezynski

In another thread there was some talk about powdered milk.
I can't tell you how much money I have thrown away TRYING to make that stuff drinkable (at lease for me).

When Jill and I got down to Mexico, a guy I met told me about how the USA donated a LOT of powdered milk to a starving nation and how the children died due to lack of nutrients. I am not sure of his story about that, but he did tell me about a product sold here called "Nedo" made by Nestle.

We now carry it on board at all times. IT IS GREAT! When mixed correctly, you can hardly tell it from fresh milk. For us at least, it's even better than the HT milk, AND it lasts a lot longer. That HT has a short shelf life and it's hard to store.

They also make a "Svelty" that is like Skimmed milk. But we just mix the regular a bit thinner.

If you have a Mexican store near by, stop in and get some to try!

Greg
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

Grime

Greg here is a online store that sell the Nido milk.  I'm going to have to try some as we use a lot of powered milk.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/2575.html
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for the link. :) Looks good... UHT milk takes up a lot of space...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Sid T

Most of the food stores here in NC carry it.  The milk taste even better if you make it up the night before you plan to use it and keep it cold. We keep a can onboard all the time for cooking or drinking.

CharlieJ

lol- I'm sorry- but "taste good' and "Milk" DO NOT belong in the same sentence. Milk is for children and cooking. NOT for grownups to drink-

YUCK!!!

Oh- and Laura agrees totally. ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 11, 2008, 08:41:59 PM
lol- I'm sorry- but "taste good' and "Milk" DO NOT belong in the same sentence. Milk is for children and cooking. NOT for grownups to drink-

LOL, I guess you get your Calcium other ways  ;)

Of course it is even harder to keep on a boat  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Delezynski

I agree with Sid T. We make it up the night before using room temp water. That helps it mix better. We then put it in the reefer to cool and by breakfast, it's great. We normally only make up for two days at a time. It will go bad just like whole milk.

By the way, a lot of the cruisers here in the Sea of Cortez make yogurt with it.

Greg 
Greg & Jll Delezynski
Nor'Sea27 Guenevere
http://www.svguenevere.com

CharlieJ

Yep Tim- Cheese ;D

Of course GOOD cheese that also doesn't need refrigeration is NOT simple to find in a small town like we're in.

And of course we cook with milk- I keep dried milk on hand always.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 11, 2008, 08:41:59 PM

YUCK!!!

Oh- and Laura agrees totally. ;D

What do you dip your Oreos in?

Seriously?..... That is the main thing we had to have some kind of milk for.

Oreos were one of the silly things we sought out in little markets.... we paid through the nose for them, but being a special treat made them taste all the better.   ;D

I like Silk (Rose does not) and I also like UHT... Rose will tolerate it.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Chocolate Chip Cookies also deserve milk. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 11, 2008, 10:08:50 PM
Yep Tim- Cheese ;D

Actually I was thinking ice cream because I was eating some when I read you post ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

Gotta have milk with an Oreo cookie.

Lisa cooks with power milk. I can't drink store bought milk. To many years getting fresh milk straight from the cow.

We get our cheese from Grapevine Market in Austin. Great selection of cheeses from all over the world. Lisa use to work there in the deli so she got to sample all the great cheeses along with the meats and wines that you only dream about. At least for us anyway.

We're like Charlie and Laura. Not a good selection of anything good down here. My daughter bring us stuff we like from Austin when she comes down.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Manannan

I could not find any good dry milk when I was living in the States. Anywhere in third world countries I always got excellent dry milk, made in Europe. I do not drink milk but use it in recipe, what I like about it, that you can add powder as you like and I found it very convenient for certain things I made. It is perfect for  home made yogurts too. So forget about UHT and can milk. Keep the space for serious drinkable beverages... ;D
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

CharlieJ

DIP Oreos? Then how do you "unscrew 'em"?  Gotta unscrew 'em to lick the center Don't you know nuttin? Hey they spend millions to advertise that, with a cute little kid to boot ;D

And Chocolate chip cookies don't NEED anything. Although they do go fairly well with beer.

You know- beer- it's not just for breakfast anymore ;D

Seriously, that's a joke- I have roughly a 6 pack a week on average.

And Tim- I'm not allowed Blue Bell unless we have company- I'm a total Blue Bell Junkie- can't leave it alone if it's in the freezer, so Laura won't let me buy it except when company comes. And if it ISN'T Blue Bell, why bother?

Blue Bell Ice Cream, made in Brenham Texas ( and two other states- OK and GA) Number 3 in total sales in the USA, but only sold in 13 states.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Sid T

Sorry Charlie, guess I never grew up, gotta have milk I even get withdrawals after about a week, and those Oreo cookies are even worse, I can't go to sleep at night if there is an open pack, until it is empty. 

No Kin Jones

Y'otter dip your nutter butters in your white & sweet coffee. If you take it hot & black, don't bother, it's awful.  Besides.....wouldn't fit in with a milk thread.

No Kin Jones

CharlieJ

That's ok Sid- different folks have different tastes.

Hey some even drink Budweiser and Busch and call those beer ;D And we won't even MENTION Lite beer ::) ::)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Leroy - Gulf 29

A lite beer?  Is that any that you can see through?  I'm kind of a milkaholic - beer on cheerios is just not that good.  Glass of cold milk and a couple of sleeves of fig newtons - mmmmmm

Lost Lake

Yup, I can put down a gallon of milk a day yet... Grew up on a dairy farm...

43 years old and never a cavity though.... ;D

AdriftAtSea

But he sleeps standing up, and moos occasionally. :)
Quote from: Lost Lake on May 17, 2008, 12:49:34 AM
Yup, I can put down a gallon of milk a day yet... Grew up on a dairy farm...

43 years old and never a cavity though.... ;D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran