Newbie says "Hi" and asks advice

Started by JimYoung, December 14, 2007, 10:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimYoung

Hello to all,
Wanted to drop a note to say "Hi" as a newbie to the forum. I found this forum following the adventures of Pixie Dust on another forum. I sail a ComPac 27/2 out of Ft. Lauderdale Florida and have been refurbishing her for a South Florida loop trip (up to the St Lucie River, across Florida via the Okeechobee Waterway, down to the keys, and back up the east coast back home) that I hope to start early January. The trip was supposed to start last week but as I explain to friends and wife, "When you put an engineer in charge of a project, expect it to come in behind schedule and over budget"
Both have happened but I am close.  I have sailed the East cost of Florida pretty extensively but have never sailed South Florida's west coast and am really looking forward to it. I would be very interested in any member feedback on suggested anchorage sites, points of interest, words of caution areas etc.

Fair Winds to all.
Jim

CharlieJ

Hey- good luck on your trip. I've done the waterway, from St Lucie to Ft Myers. Lovely trip.

Is the Okeechobee Waterway open again? Last I saw the lake was so dry they had closed the waterway and even the rim canal. Hoping that's all in the past.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

JimYoung

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

The lake is still low... The rim route at less than 2' but the locks are still working on a reduced schedule and the cross-lake (route 1)  option still shows the lake at 10' with a navigational depth of 4.2'.

VERY close to my 3'8" draft but I am watching it daily.  May have to change plans last minute but hopefully we will see big rains from the weather this weekend.
Jim

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

BobW

Welcome aboard Jim!

Let us know how your plans and your trip go.
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

Captain Smollett

Hi Jim, Welcome aboard.

I'd like to hear any/all comments you can make about the Waterway when you cross it.  I don't know why, exactly, but that is one stretch of water I don't tire of reading about.  So keep good notes, and of course...LOTS OF PICS!!

Fair Winds on your journey.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

Nice trip. I did it in 28 days, far to short. I used Gunkhollers guide to Fl West coast for years. Nice guide.

La Bell in the waterway was nice as well as the lock parks but buggy at night. I like any ancorage in the Everglades

Ir you make it up to Port Charlotte Coastal Islands. These are nice. Call ahead anywere that you need to be at to make sure that thay are open. Way to many places to see and do. It all depends on what you like the best.

Make sure that you carry a bow and stern anchor incase you need to anchor in the waterway.
MacGregor 26M

psyche

I Did the waterway 2 winters ago when I brought my boat from Biloxi home to Georgia. It was like a sail back in time. The people along the way were very friendly. I was invited to a pancake breakfast in one town and went to a honey processing business and left with several types of local honeys. My favorite was Sea Grass. I keep looking forward to making another trip in the near future. I would check with www.cruisersnet.com Claiborne Young's website because last week I read where they had closed the crosslake section and the canal section due to low water. I envy you having the opportunity to make the trip and look forward to reading your comments after you have completed it. Dan

JimYoung

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the Info on Waterway across the lake. Special thanks to psyche for the mention of cruisersnet.  I had not visited that site in quite some time and it was good to re-acquaint myself with it's wisdom.

It still looks good for a Jan 15th departure date and the rain we had this weekend helped the lake some.  It looks like if I left today I would make it across the lake if I were careful to heed locale knowledge and stay in the channel.  Can only hope the same will be true next month.

Will keep posted.
Jim

CapnK

Quote from: JimYoung on December 14, 2007, 10:49:02 AM"When you put an engineer in charge of a project, expect it to come in behind schedule and over budget"

LOL, Jim!

Grog! ...and, Welcome Aboard! :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

JimYoung

Update from the  "Newbie"

The boat is almost ready (96%) and I am planing to depart on Feb 4th. I am really looking forward to the adventure but am growing very apprehensive on the lake levels on Lake Okeechobee.  I have been watching the website: http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/conops/structures/navbulln.htm
but would be intrested in personal information from anyone that might have crossed the lake since Jan 1.

Cruisers.net has mixed info from a New Years eve crossing but I am not sure what the level was then compaired to now.

Bottom line is I may have to head south and then up the west coast for a while then back around through the Keys again (Poor me) but would really like to make the loop if it's feasible.  I draw 3'8".

21 days and counting.
Jim