News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Shipboard Communications

Started by Zen, May 18, 2006, 05:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

Globalstar has had a lot of reliability problems lately. They lost a number of satellites so coverage is no longer continuous -- that means you may not be able to make calls or connect to the Internet when you want to, or may be cut off in the middle of something. They are working to launch new satellites and promise full coverage "soon" but for now there are issues.

Iridium is better, but still has coverage gaps, particularly as you get further offshore.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

dock goody

:-\Admittedly Globalstar has a pretty sad reputation although I understand they are putting up more satellites and from what I have been able to ascertain they are beginning to improve with their service.  I would look at a program (called a loyalty program???) in which the price is $29/month through 08 and $20/month thru-6/10 with unlimited time.  I just purchased a 1600 on ebay (vitually brand new for about $200 (with a case).  Based on my research I don't think you'll be able to do much internet unless things dramatically change.  good luck gene

AdriftAtSea

I wouldn't get a globalstar phone, given their current satellite problems and their financial problems.  Given the cost of a satellite phone and the cost of the air time, you probably want to stick with Iridium, since their at least in relatively good financial and technical health.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Godot

Last I checked, Iridium, even if they are in better financial shape, charges quite a bit more.  It's hard to find prices though (they don't quote directly, you have to go through one of their vendors) so maybe things have changed.  $75 for unlimited service sounds awfully hard to beat for a satellite phone, even with gaps in coverage (even my cell phone occasionally hits gaps).  I don't think globalstar has planet wide offshore coverage, yet; but they do make ok in the us coastal and Caribbean waters, I believe.

It's funny, I've been keeping my eyes open for an affordable satellite SMS system (I'm actually surprised at my lack of success).  I think if I where to cross the horizon for a spell, I could get along just fine sending the occasional 70 character message.  Just enough for a position report, eta or landfall updates, and to let folks know I'm in good health.  You know, to keep loved ones happy. 

[edit]
A quick google search turned these pages up:

http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/satellite/services/globalstar.html
http://www.globalcomsatphone.com/satellite/services/iridium_service_plans.html

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

Frank,

This is opinion, hopefully educated opinion, but opinion none the less.

Get an SSB for voice contacts offshore, and a serious Wifi antenna for anchorages. Get a Skype account for voice contact when you have a Wifi connection.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Frank

I've thought of SSB...they have a ton of benifits.But.. I would need a license,they are expensive,must be wired in and hooked up properly and lastly..I'm a techno phobe.The thought of simply picking up a phone and dialing home appeals to me.I have checked into SSB but it seems complicated  :-X.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Frank-

Technophobes don't mix well with Skype, Wifi, SSB and Pactor modems, or satellite phones... May I suggest a really long string and two tin cans. :)

For the technically challenged, the satellite phones are really the best way to go.  Some of the newer ones can also be used as a "modem" for your computer, so that you can at least check e-mail.  I wouldn't websurf on them though—since most charge by the megabyte and are fairly slow. :
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Frank

If I could get a string long enough...I'd try  ;D But, joking aside, that is why I thought a sat phone may be the answer.Simply dial home ;) The dealer here said I could also check e-mail but as you stated..it is slow. At an outisland anchorage, it does seem to be a luxury even I could figure out. The SSB route intigues me tho and if I planned a really long cruise crossing oceans, it would be worth the time/money to figure it out.The thought of cruisers net,weather fax,emergency calls etc make it a worthy consideration.As Lynx stated..the Bahamas are doable in a 16fter (with care and planning) so the sat phone seems to 'fit'.Have you tried e-mail with one?

AdriftAtSea

I used to set reporters up with satellite phones so they could file stories and photos from the middle of nowhere... so, I've probably got a bit more experience with sat phones than the average person. :) 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Auspicious

Frank,

Forgive me, but I forget where you are. If you are North of me heading for the Bahamas, stop on by and I'll show you my SSB/Pactor/laptop setup (including weather fax). If you come to Annapolis (or Rock Hall or Solomons) and want to fit a radio I'd be very happy to help.

regards, dave
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Frank

Thanks...apprec. that. I would love to see 'how' it all works. Jubilee is at Green Turtle Cay Bahamas and I will be going directly to her but I would love to stop by late march on my way home.Thanks again.

Auspicious

Listen for Far Niente (a Jeanneau 40) on the Cruiser's Net. Jay and Diana are good friends of mine. They are currently in Georgetown, but should be up in the Abacos before you leave. Jay has the same hardware setup that I do, although he is a little less technical (unless you have engine troubles in which case you couldn't ask for anyone better). He uses Cruise-e-mail for e-mail over HF SSB with great success.

If you find them, tell them Auspicious referred you to them and ask Jay to show you his radio set up.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Lynx

Communications requirements depends on your needs and cruising area. In the Abacos you are never farther than 30 miles from town and internet south of Green Turtle Cay is easy to get. I had orginally thought about getting an SSB but the battery drain was to much as well as the cost.

My life is set up so that I just do not need it. There is services that people can call on a land line and leave you a message and when you call your number you can receive the messages. 

As of now, Cell phone coverage is not good enough.

MacGregor 26M