Bahamas Cruising Permit fee increase.

Started by s/v Faith, July 01, 2013, 10:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

After the last fee increase fizzled, it sounds like they are raising them again.

Good news (for some) is the higher fees now start at 35' rather then 30'.

Read elsewhere;

QuoteCruising fees to enter the Bahamas have gone up to $250 under 35 feet and $400 over 35 feet.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

cap-couillon

Be interesting to hear from someone currently in the Bahamas as to Permit prices. Article I read quoted "local source" that fees would rise July 1st.  As of 5 min ago Bahamas.gov still listed $150 < 35' > $300 .  Then again, it is the Bahamas.. :-)
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com

s/v Faith

Yea, last time folks go to positing about the increase, it was so bad the Bahamas customs officials started to believe it!  I hope I am not speaking it into existence here?!?

Lars

That was the chatter on the net this morning $250 for  boats up to 35 feet and $400 for boats over 35. Started today. Some boats should report back this afternoon on the net and I will confirm this.

cap-couillon

Latest from "The Abaconian"

'It is our understanding at the moment that the increase in cruiser permits has been postponed for consultation.'

I call BS on the whole question....  No mention of the increase from any Bahamian Gov site, or major Bahamian newspaper. Only verifiable post I have found was the original on the  Abaconian facebook page under the heading of;  IMPORTANT: This just in from the Marine Operators of the Bahamas.

The Marina (not Marine) Operators of the Bahamas (MOB) did issue a press release from their June 2013 meeting questioning the impact of the proposed Bahama VAT (to be implemented July 1, 2014) on recreational boater visits. The VAT would impose a 15% tax on marina services among others.

Sounds to me like someone took advantage of a slightly related press release to troll a large response from the cruising community. Certainly jumped the "Shares" of the  Abaconian facebook page.

I'm just sayin'...........

Edit: Just re-read this post, and decided it sounded like I was pointing fingers here, which is NOT the case. Just a comment in general as to the reliability of stories off the InterWeb. Itś all moot to me as I quit stopping in the Bahamas (and Turks and Cacaos) when they raised there cruising permits to what I considered  unreasonable levels.
Cap' Couillon

SailingOffTheEdge.com

s/v Faith

Just a update,

Fwiw, there were changes in July.  I took some pictures of the sign in the coustoms office here at Spanish Cay.

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

cap-couillon

Just as a matter of interest, I see no mention on the list of form C2A (Inward Declaration and Application for Cruising Permit Pleasure and Recreational)

I see C2 (Report Inwards of Vessels. Cargo)
I see C7 (Inward Declaration of Aircraft)
I see C7A (Inward Declaration and Cruising Permit for Private Aircraft)

I'm just sayin'...
Cap' Couillon

SailingOffTheEdge.com

SalientAngle

link to Bahamas customs forms

Edit to shorten link.

CharlieJ

That's the same fees we were charged in March of 2010. Included fishing license also. We were given 180 days on the visa.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: SalientAngle on December 09, 2013, 04:06:18 PM
link to Bahamas customs forms

Edit to shorten link.

Excellent link to save, actual printable forms that are now accepted in the Bahamas.  Fill them out in advance and save some time clearing in.

There used to be forms online, but they were the wrong ones and not accepted.  The ones in this link are the ones I filled out a couple days ago. :)

Grog for the link.

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on December 09, 2013, 05:40:42 PM
That's the same fees we were charged in March of 2010. Included fishing license also. We were given 180 days on the visa.

I only got 90 this year, and only got 90 both times I cleared in last year.  Apparently only the immigration officers can give more then 90 days (was told that by customs officer at mayuguana  ... And they seem to be enforcing that now.

CharlieJ

Quote from: s/v Faith on December 12, 2013, 08:31:29 PM
Quote from: CharlieJ on December 09, 2013, 05:40:42 PM

I only got 90 this year, and only got 90 both times I cleared in last year.  Apparently only the immigration officers can give more then 90 days (was told that by customs officer at mayuguana  ... And they seem to be enforcing that now.

Mine was from the immigration officer in Bimini. Another sailor who we knew smart mouthed the lady, and got 40 days He didn't notice til in the Exumas, and had to fly to Nassau to get it extended. Smart-mouthing officials is NEVER a good idea, even in fun  :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

seachange

Hi Guys,

Just want to report we paid $150 for a 34' boat in Bimini on January 20th, 2014. Our boat is Australia registered at 10.39m.

The lady did not believe me when I said it was 34', first asked Siri on her iPhone and then got out here calculator before issuing the cruising permit. I was quietly respectful but grinning inside when I realized she was going to only charge me $150.

Shane
S/V Sea Change II
Currently in the Exumas

S/V Sea Change II
Pacific Seacraft 34
Sailing the Seven Seas
No watermaker, dodger, generator, radar, hot water or freezer required!