News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

sailfar record in the making.

Started by Frank, January 05, 2008, 08:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I just realized that in a week or so there will be Connie,Craig,Lynx,Sonnie and I all in the 'green/blue/turquios' waters. of Bahamas.Thats a huge jump over last.Lets make it 10 next year!!  Charlie-Laura..are ya's in?   
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lynx

MacGregor 26M

Lost Lake

I would like to sail the Bahamas also!!

Being mighty green, I'd like to sail with at least one other boat. This Feb we will be doing another Disney trip, but I sure could go for a Bahamas trip next year!

Let's set a date and I'll work all summer to prepare myself and my boat (and my family!).

Mr. Fixit

count me in for 08-- expect to spend summer on east coast then head south in my Columbia 30

AdriftAtSea

Count me in... The islands in the winter sound like a good break, given the single digit temps we had here last week. ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

For those planning on making the trip at that time: in your provisioning, be aware that with both Connie and Frank in the islands at the same time, it's quite likely that there will be widespread grog shortages throughout the entire island chain... :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Auspicious

I might make it as well. I may have to use the dink to keep up with you guys in skinny water.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Lost Lake

I'll have to start figuring out what I need to make a voyage of this magnitude!  I don't have a dingy even!

So that's the first thing.

Is there a thread on here that speaks about what to provision a boat with? I have the safety equipment such as horns and flares, all the legal stuff, but I don't have a GPS for the boat, spare main (I bet nobody has one of those!), spare bottle opener (I have priorities).

I suppose money is USD, credit cards are probably good, medical kit, charts, what do people usually forget?

Auspicious

Quote from: Lost Lake on January 07, 2008, 08:37:03 PMIs there a thread on here that speaks about what to provision a boat with? I have the safety equipment such as horns and flares, all the legal stuff, but I don't have a GPS for the boat, spare main (I bet nobody has one of those!), spare bottle opener (I have priorities).

"Why is the rum always gone?"
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

LostLake-

Might be good for you to start a thread on that. :)

Auspicious... cause you're always finishing it off.... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lynx

Resupplying is easy enough in the Bahamas, All that you need is 2 weeks supplies and another weeks emergency reserves and a good credit card.

Find out what a "Right Weather Window" is and sit and waite it out.

Craming TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much stuff in your boat is a pain to get around as I am.

Every thing else is personal choice. Find out what those choices are will take a lot of reading and talking. Or just, HECK, get the boat in shape, put some supplies on board, get a bigger anchor and 50 feet of chain, a few guides and take off.
MacGregor 26M

Frank

GREAT reply Lynx....everyone makes it too complicated...
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Auspicious

Buy cereal and paper towels in the US, everything else in the Bahamas.

eat well and sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Lynx

Make sure that you get an anchor for your dinghy.
MacGregor 26M

Pixie Dust

HI Everyone!! 
Lets see how well internet works for me to get a note out to all.
First of all, provisioning is very very easy in the Abacos!  The Abacos has lots of stores on the Cays and Marsh Harbor is the Big City of the Abaco's.  Green Turtle has lots to offer in that arena as well. 
The Berry's are very tough.  Great Harbor is about it and that is limited.  Chubb Cay has some items of necessities, but not a lot to get excited about.
Have your provisions on board when you visit the Berry Island Chain.  Gorgeous area!!  I would have not wanted to miss it.  You can always go to Flo's in Little Harbor for cracked conch, conch salad, fish etc.  Tell Chester and Steve that Pixie sent you.  I loved those guys and the anchorage is a very protected one.
The Exumas-  I have fallen in love with.  I am currently at Big Sampson, just north of Staniel Cay and south of Pipe Cay.   This must be what heaven looks like.  Right now, provisioning is easy since cruisers are moving south on the way to George Town.  During hurricane season, the marinas had limited supplies of everything, but now, they are keeping good stock of the necessities  ie- potatoes, onions, canned goods etc. 
As for beer..... ya better provision lots prior to leaving the states.  It is very very expensive over here.   Try $72 a case in some places and that is for Kalik!!!!  Wine is costly too, but rum is cheap.  ;D  Rum of course is my drink of choice.  Nassau has good wine and better beer prices, but over here in the Family Islands, wow!!  everything is expensive.   Eggs for example- 4.35/doz.  Not everyone takes credit cards after you leave the Abacos.  Have your cash handy!  The marinas of course do, but a lot of the grocery areas and local vendors do not. 
You have to have a dingy and an outboard is almost a necessity.(and anchor for dinghy)  It is your car and allows you so many opportunites to explore, get supplies, visit other boaters and just have fun on shore. 
The water is incredible.  I have been greeted by Spotted Eagle Rays the last few mornings.   I love it down here and now wish I had not spent so much time in the Abacos.  I feel like I have found home here in the Exumas.  The group here on the Cay are talking about taking the Caravan and chopper down island to Rum Cay for a little surfing, beach combing and just a day on the island.  That has been such a thrill for me.  It is so cool to see the island chain from the air.  They always include me in their adventures which has been such an unbelievable experience. 
I miss staying in touch with everyone on a consistent basis, but internet here on the Cay is frustrating more than not. 

I hope everyone is well and either dropping their dock lines or fixin to.  :)
Pixie
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Lost Lake

Quote from: CapnK on January 10, 2008, 10:21:49 AM
LostLake - On my CP-23 I had a 9# Bulwagga that, though designed for use in rock and weed, worked extremely well for me in the sand/mud/oysters bottom that is typical around here. Another link, with pics.

It worked so well, I plan on getting the 17#'er for this boat eventually, for use as my bowser.

Right now I have 2 Fortress anchors (Fx7 and Fx16, I think they're called, 4 lbs and 12 lb (?) respectively, IIRC), and a folding 10 lb Northill. The Fx7 is the "recommended" model for a boat this size (5120# displacement), the Fx16 is suited for boats 10' longer, and that overkill is just fine for me. Like CJ, I prefer a plethora of anchors of different types. :) Anchors and chain are cheap insurance.

It's rare in my experience that rode tangles in the anchor locker. When I've had it happen, shaking the rode has usually loosened it up enough that the tangle fell out. I keep a 30' minimum length of chain on the anchor end of my rode, and anchor shallow.

IIRC, there are a couple good anchor threads on this board where there is quite a bit of discussion on different brands/types of anchors that we use(d) on our 'smaller' boats. Worth a Search, for sure. :)

There is a *huge* thread at the Pearson Ariel site on anchors, if you want to do more research before plunking down the boatbux.

WOWWWEEEEE!!!!!  Those Roncas must be filled with GOLD!!!  $408 at West Marine for a 10lb....   

But they look nice!! ;D