Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

North Channel Newby

Started by Sandy, December 20, 2007, 01:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Hey Folks,
Well the summer of 08' will be my third season with Blind Faith,my Cape Dory 27, and I'm planning on heading up to lake Huron.  I'm going to take her up at the end of June in a double handed race and leave her on a mooring ball in Presque Isle Mi. for a couple of weeks. I'll return mid July and take a couple(2-3) weeks to bring her home through the North Channel.   I'm so stoked I think I'm gonna burst!

I know plenty of folks who have spent some time there,but nobody in a boat under 40'.    So any advice for a North Channel newbie? I preferr to stay away from the crowds,and need at least a small patch of terra-firma for my mate.

Thanks folks   FairWinds

-Sandy

PS... Thanks for the warm welcome awhile back......let me get the next round!
Sandy
s/v Blind Faith
1977 Cape Dory 27(#60)
Lake St.Clair.  Mich

AdriftAtSea

While I've got no advice for you, I would like to welcome you to Sailfar. :)  Sounds like fun... btw, there's  a good site on cruising up that way. Look here.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

The north channel is a beautiful erea to cruise with unmatched scenery,super clear waters,enough small towns to make getting supplies easy and tons of places to hide out.Get the cruising guide and good charts.This is not a good place to 'learn' navigation as granite is very unforgiving and there is lots of it....often 'just' under the surface.I have done 2 one week cruises there in boats of 17ft and 15ft. First cruise was from Killarney, 2nd from Spanish.A sunshade and bug netting are a must.We plan on returning again in 08.You will enjoy it.PM me with questions.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

skylark

Are there any good places to leave the boat either for the summer or over the winter?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Frank

The marina @ Spanish is municipally run,clean,safe and VERY friendly...try there.I'm sure there are others but they were SO nice and not busy while we were there in June.

Sandy

Man Frank we haven't seen the sun here for two months. It's pouring rain outside now and supposed to turn to ice,then snow! Those pics where just what the captain ordered, thanks.

I understand that the skeeters are a drag. Although I'm not to sure exactly how I'm going to fasten around the boom, I'm going to attach netting around the perimeter of my sunshade. I'll sew lead weights around the bottom of the netting,not sure if I'm going to rest the weights on deck,or make the screens a couple of feet longer and let themfall into the water.  I defiantly need to figure out something,being able to use the cockpit as a "porch" is a big plus.  What do you think?  Seen any homemade setups that work?

Thanks for the tip on Spanish.Looks like a pretty new facility.

FairWinds
-Sandy
Sandy
s/v Blind Faith
1977 Cape Dory 27(#60)
Lake St.Clair.  Mich

Frank

I just had the cabin 'tight' with screens at night.During the day it is OK..but after dusk it gets bad for about an hour, then again in the early mornin.A full enclosure may be more effort than its worth....but do get your cabin 'tight' or its tuff sleeping ;) bzzzzzzzzzzzbuzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzz  Here's a few pics of what you can expect

AdriftAtSea

oooh... pretty... :)   Nice photo Frank.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Sandy

Man Frank those shots are beautiful,do you remember where they were taken?

As far as the enclosure goes,I figure I've already got the roof covered with the sun/rain cover,all I need to do is build the walls. The sides are easy,gravity and weights keep them in place, the front & rear walls will take a bit of imagination,but its a long winter unfortunately, I'll keep you posted on the project.

Thanks again for sharing the photos,what a wonderful place,and how lucky I am to have it practically in my backyard.  Have you ever been down or heard anything about the Collins Inlet?
-Sandy
Sandy
s/v Blind Faith
1977 Cape Dory 27(#60)
Lake St.Clair.  Mich

Frank

Pics are from The Benjamins.I was thru Collins inlet a few years back. There will be a group of trailersailors (me incl) back there next year again God willing.Beautiful erea.

Sandy

It sure looks nice on the chart.  I haven't gotten any guides yet,but I did receive a Richardsons' chartbook for my birthday(thanks mom).  I've been pouring over the charts ever since.   I'm giving myself two weeks to see some of the sights,and was thinking of spending the second week in the  Collins Inlet. Sounds like I made a good choice eh?  I'll be up there the last two weeks in July,have you folks set a date yet for your trip?
-Sandy
Sandy
s/v Blind Faith
1977 Cape Dory 27(#60)
Lake St.Clair.  Mich

Frank

By failing memory..there is a great,well protected anchorage as you go in to the inlet on the right (s side) An island protects it and there are high rocks near the entrance to dive in from.The inlet snakes down quite a piece and at the very end is another well protected anchorage that usually has quite a few boats.Just as you turn right(S )into that final anchorage..there is a trail on the N shore that goes up to a beautiful-warm-clear lake..again with high rocks to dive in from.Be sure to see the little lake. Both anchorages are very safe in wind.