News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Cabin Cushions

Started by Captain Smollett, May 06, 2006, 12:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I'm really learning alot on this board.  Sice I'm resoring a boat yes I will nrrd to get new cushionns.  I have been leaning towards the sunbrella line and going with 4'' foam in the v berth then 2" throughout the rest.  Depending upon monies,  I may go with a harder denser foam on top before covering.
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

CharlieJ

Lost Lake- here's what ours look like-

I wouldn't go any thinner than 4 inches for the seat part- the backs are 2 inch, held to the settee back with velcro. They are a medium density open cell foam.

Here's looking down through the companionway, with the lee cloth rigged on the settee so it can be used as a sea berth-

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cmdr Pete

I've been shopping for some cushions for my house. Came across this company

http://www.cushionsource.com/

Haven't ordered from them yet, but the prices seemed reasonable (compared to custom upholstery)

They use a "cumulus" foam and have many different fabric choices including Sunbrella. They'll make any shape you want.
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

CapnK

I've been using cushions that are 4" of medium density open cell foam, with a topper of the so-called 'smart foam' (bought at a big-box retail store), and it is a *very* comfortable setup.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Lost Lake

Quote from: CharlieJ on January 07, 2008, 11:10:38 AM

I wouldn't go any thinner than 4 inches for the seat part- the backs are 2 inch, held to the settee back with velcro. They are a medium density open cell foam.

CharlieJ those are PERFECT!!! I can sew just a bit, but I've never done zippers so I will just have a local shop sew the covers.

I like the idea of the soft microfiber, and the color will add some zip to my interior.

Thanks for the link Cmdr Pete! Grog to you!

CharlieJ

There's no zippers in those- all velcroed closed, with flaps on the back that over lap. Make them  SLIGHTLY smaller than the foam- then they stay tight always. Laura showed me that. ;D

By the way- the mola covered throw cushion holds sweaters, long johns, etc- we have several of them.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lost Lake

Throw cushions that hold sweatshirts, and maybe a blanket?  What a great idea!!! I'll buy a round for that tip!! Grog!!

LauraG

I stay away from Sunbrella for interior cushions. It is a somewhat harsh fabric and I prefer something a little more comfortable. It also has no stretch which means the covers never look fitted. They always stay kind of rumpled looking. I may have a little OCD but that drives me crazy. I like a fabric cover that shrinks back into place when I get up. I think a good quality synthetic upholstery fabric is better suited for interior cushions. You just need to make sure that the fabric does not contain natural fibers like cotton because they tend to wick moisture that promotes mold and mildew growth.

Frank

I'm just catching up on posts and want to say " KEEP POSTING PICS OF THAT BOAT' !! Sure looks nice down there...outside too  :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Leroy - Gulf 29

Quote from: Frank on January 07, 2008, 11:52:36 PM
I'm just catching up on posts and want to say " KEEP POSTING PICS OF THAT BOAT' !! Sure looks nice down there...outside too  :o

You shoud see it in person!! Worth the trip big time.

CharlieJ

:D

Thanks folks- the looks of the boat are largely due to a whole lot of hard work by Laura.

Remember- while we were finishing the restoration I was in the process of building Pilgrim, Travis's Princess 22.

Laura was at home working on Tehani while I was at the shop working on Pilgrim.

She probably did 60 % ( or more) of the work aboard Tehani, including a whole lot of the "gunge" work like grinding rust off the keel, sanding and fairing the hull both below and above the waterline  and painting the entire interior, including inside the cockpit lockers and lazz. If it hadn't been for her work, Tehani would have taken at least an extra year for finish

Except for the teak sole- SHE did the entire rest of that interior, from priming and painting the interior, to varnishing and installing ALL the trim, to cutting the foam and sewing the covers for the cushions.

So when you see pics of the boat, don't think "Charlie did it". Charlie did the heavy glass work and new interior construction parts, but the rest of it is "Laura did it"

And did a helluva job too. ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lost Lake

Grog to Laura! Sounds like a wonderful woman!

Marc

LauraG, thanks for the tip on the sunbrella fabric, you may have saved me some money.  I wish I knew how to sew. lol
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

fullkeeldan

Anyone in Ontario, Canada that can recomend a place to buy foam ?
Crackmart is horrid as is most fabric shops.
Did a google and only found one "manufacturer" in Ontario but no return of email enquiry. I am seriously considering opening a FOAM SHOP franchise ( they're in British Columbia ) !!
Already have my scheme picked out from swatches now I'll just need the disco ball, and a cheap polyester suit and I'll be livin the70's in style
No placebos for me, I prefer to cheat

CapnK

LOL, Dan. Post pics once you get your disco ball installed. Will you be using LED's to illuminate it?  ;D

Marc - Sewing is not hard. Buy a used machine from a yard sale or Salvation Army-type store; look for an older model, from the early 70's or earlier if you can find one. The old models had metal gears inside, and they hold up well to abuse. :) Then go get a 'sewing basics' book and a few yards of cloth from WalMarts $1/yard table, plug in your machine, and start learning - it goes quick, and you'll be functional with it (if not picture perfect) in no time.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

psyche

I recently redid all the cushions in my 8.7 Columbia. I used Dry Fast foam which is reticulated foam and allows water to run through. It does not stay wet and is intended for both outdoor and indoor applications.It is not ordinary polyurethane foam. In the manufacturing process the air is pulled out of the foam, hydrogen is pumped back in and then the hydrogen is exploded. This patented process creates small holes throughout the foam which allows water to easily escape so outdoor cushions do not retain water and indoor cushions feel much drier. I used 4 inch for sleeping and sitting and it does not bottom out. It also has  and antibacterial agent in it. I covered all the cushions with a sunbrella material purchased from eBay for $4.00 a yard that had a woven design in it and was made for outside cushions. I have been very pleased with the cushions. I was able to get the foam from a local boat upholsterer who had enough for my project from a prior project. It is available from Sailrite. Dan