News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Salt water to sink

Started by Zen, March 06, 2008, 12:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

I am off to the Berkeley Marine Flea Market this Sun. One of the things I am hoping to get is a Galley Foot Pump. I want to run a Saltwater line to the sink. I'm thinking of putting a "T" in the line where the water goes to the engine for cooling and running a hose to the sink pump. Any ideas on this?
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

TJim

If you want to wait until I'm down there...end of the month....I got one that I'll give you....It's just like the one I'm using, only I couldn't figure out how to stop it from leaking...you might be able to....Jim

Zen

Hmmm, sounds good. Even if I find a great deal on one, I can still use two. Thx

No Kin Jones

Consider what will happen if a small leak developes allowing your coolant pump to suck air instead of water.....
The check valve in # 16 sounds good.........is this the boat you plan the long cruise in?

Danny

Zen

AdriftAtSea

I wouldn't tap the engine cooling line... that's a risk you probably don't want to run.

Unfortunately, since you probably don't want to tap into the head input line, you'll probably have to install a new through-hull for the sink.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Zen

Oh noooooo, not another Thru-hull  :o  :-\

AdriftAtSea

You could always tap the intake for the head, but the run would be pretty long and the chance of getting bad things in the galley sink would go way up. :o 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

s/v Faith

Zen,

You have been reading my mind... this same project is on my list also.

Having saltwater in the galley would be a really nice addition.  We currently wash the dishes in a bucket in the cockpit, and rinse over the side (before a light fresh water rinse.)

I was going with a foot pump and a tap into the cockpit drain... but I did not like the idea that if the footpump failed it could flood the boat.  :o

Here is what I have come up with... I have not installed it yet, but plan to before the next cruise.  It will not require a through-hull or a tap.

I am looking for a small pump, like a shower sump pump or a bait well pump.  Something with a barb on the intake and discharge, lowish current draw and the ability to prime from a short lift.

My plan is to locate the pump in the cockpit locker, and plumb it to a small faucet next to the sink.  The intake hose will pass through a bulkhead connector (2 hose barbs with threads on one side and a pair of gaskets).  The hose will be allowed to drop down through the lazy-rat and out the well.  On your islander you could install a through-bulkhead connector under the overhang... but and this is an important but... ABOVE the waterline with a short suction hose that would trail in the water. 

There are 2 advantages I see to this set up.  First, no holes below the waterline... no additional liability.  It would be possible for a leak in the pump to develop a siphon but a short loop above the pump should prevent this.  The second advantage is that you could have a second hose, or rig a diverter valve on the intake so you could use the same pump to empty your dingy or even to suplement your de-watering capability (although the low rate would not make this a huge addition in capacity, it would allow you to suck out the last little bit of water from the bilge that the bilge pump misses.

I don't know if this makes sense.. I can clarify if you are interested.

No through hull. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Hi Zen. Been away for a week, so am late to this discussion.

On the tri I lived on for several years and cruised up and down the east coast, I had my sink salt water tap to a foot pump off the strainer for the engine intake. I had a T in the line upstream of the strainer. Worked fine for me for several years and apparently for the next few owners also, as far as I know it's still that way.

Of course on our current boat there is not even a drain for the sink, so we went totally the OTHER way ;D Salt water is dipped up by bucket and sink water is dumped overboard by lifting the sink.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

"Che"  came with saltwater plumbing to the sink, via an additional footpump under the sink alnog with the freshwater pump;

The intake is the only thruhull in the center bilge with a seacock handy in the sole hatch next to the sink. Which makes it relatively safe as the seacock is only opened when the saltwater pump is in use.
The drain tees into one of my cockpit drains above the waterline.

This made me think that a similar cockpit drain could be used as an intake by putting a hose down it like suggested by Craig. Probably more trouble than it would be worth though.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Looks like a good set up to me.  How do you like using the foot pump mounted there?  seemed a bit awkward to me.

QuoteThis made me think that a similar cockpit drain could be used as an intake by putting a hose down it like suggested by Craig. Probably more trouble than it would be worth though.

Great minds... (or something like that).  I also thought of using the starboard cockpit drain, there is a nipple on the original tube coming down from the drain in the cockpit.  I decided against it only because the nipple is so small.... the suction hose would have to be like 5/32" or something too small.

Tim

Here is a shot of the rear bulkhead where you kinda can see the footpumps under the sink, not awkward at all.

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Zen

Nicely done.

All are good ideas. I was not sure if the line could be run off another outlet, If I wanted to use it as an inlet

I had heard somewhere that someone else ran their hose of the engine inlet. n my setup there is already a split that runs to the drive shaft housing. I do not know if it is a normal setup.
I was thinking of putting the split there.  ( see T on the photo) Then running a hose out of the engine compartment to another valve connection to the Galley  that could be turned off then lead to the footpump at the galley.

Zen

Hmmm. Interesting , I'm trying to envision it...sounds complex. I do like the cockpit drain tap.

Quote from: s/v Faith on March 06, 2008, 08:48:56 PM
Zen,

You have been reading my mind... this same project is on my list also.

Having saltwater in the galley would be a really nice addition.  We currently wash the dishes in a bucket in the cockpit, and rinse over the side (before a light fresh water rinse.)

I was going with a foot pump and a tap into the cockpit drain... but I did not like the idea that if the footpump failed it could flood the boat.  :o

Here is what I have come up with... I have not installed it yet, but plan to before the next cruise.  It will not require a through-hull or a tap.

I am looking for a small pump, like a shower sump pump or a bait well pump.  Something with a barb on the intake and discharge, lowish current draw and the ability to prime from a short lift.

My plan is to locate the pump in the cockpit locker, and plumb it to a small faucet next to the sink.  The intake hose will pass through a bulkhead connector (2 hose barbs with threads on one side and a pair of gaskets).  The hose will be allowed to drop down through the lazy-rat and out the well.  On your islander you could install a through-bulkhead connector under the overhang... but and this is an important but... ABOVE the waterline with a short suction hose that would trail in the water. 

There are 2 advantages I see to this set up.  First, no holes below the waterline... no additional liability.  It would be possible for a leak in the pump to develop a siphon but a short loop above the pump should prevent this.  The second advantage is that you could have a second hose, or rig a diverter valve on the intake so you could use the same pump to empty your dingy or even to suplement your de-watering capability (although the low rate would not make this a huge addition in capacity, it would allow you to suck out the last little bit of water from the bilge that the bilge pump misses.

I don't know if this makes sense.. I can clarify if you are interested.

No through hull. 

Bill NH

Quote from: Zen on March 07, 2008, 01:02:00 AM

I had heard somewhere that someone else ran their hose of the engine inlet. n my setup there is already a split that runs to the drive shaft housing. I do not know if it is a normal setup.
I was thinking of putting the split there.  ( see T on the photo) Then running a hose out of the engine compartment to another valve connection to the Galley  that could be turned off then lead to the footpump at the galley.

If you put a ball valve in the line after you Tee off from the engine raw water intake (after the strainer), you would be fine.  Essentially you're creating a raw water intake manifold.  You'll just need to be sure to close the valve to the galley pump when not using it to avoid potentially sucking air into your engine raw water pump.  It seems a bit more complicated operationally than having a separate seacock, but it really takes the same effort as developing the good habit of closing the sink seacocks when not in use...   And I think its preferable to adding another hole to the boat!
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

AdriftAtSea

The other choice would be to use a check valve in the line, if you're going to tee it off the engine cooling intake . 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

Quote from: Zen on March 07, 2008, 12:09:04 PM
Hmmm. Interesting , I'm trying to envision it...sounds complex. I do like the cockpit drain tap.

I just re-read that and it was a bit overtinked...  :-\

Simplified;

I am looking for a small pump, like a shower sump pump or a bait well pump.  Something with a barb on the intake and discharge, lowish current draw and the ability to prime from a short lift.... plumb it to a small faucet next to the sink. 

.....rig a hose on the intake side of the pump that would be either thrown over the side, or rigged to trail in the water..

There are 2 advantages I see to this set up. 

.......no holes below the waterline... no additional liability.

....use the same pump to empty your dingy or even to supplement your de-watering capability......

No through hull. 

Hope this is a little less unclear.....  ;)