News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tin Can

Started by CapnK, January 18, 2008, 12:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobW

Here's the 'Lectronic Latitude report of his departure.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2008-02-15&dayid=73

Apparently, he passed a USCG boarding party's inspection.
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

AdriftAtSea

Unfortunately, a USCG safety inspection doesn't mean the boat is necessarily seaworthy or capable of making the voyage that mr. Vann is intending. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

macdiver

Personally, I hope he is successful just to prove that one does not need the multimillion dollar, heavily sponsored boat to sail nonstop around.  But that change in attitude will not happen.  If he makes it, everyone will chalk it up to pure luck.  If he has problems it won't be bad luck but bad seamanship or an unsafe boat.  But when the mega million boat breaks down, it is bad luck.  If the mega million boat completes a race, then it is great seamanship and a great boat. 

This attitude transfers to the general public such that on several discussion boards, only Hinckleys and other 50 foot million dollar boats are deemed safe to cruise on.

Go Vann!!!!!!!!!!

sailorflo

As capt RON said in the movie CAPT RON, If anything is going to happen its going to happen out there :o
Flo / Marty, Got Milk and Shark Bait Tartan 37 #369

AdriftAtSea

what is a bit worrying is the way the akas, or crossbeams, are designed.  Here is a photo of where they are attached to the main hull.

As you can see they're not two single crossbeams, but four separate ones.  The area that the loading of the amas is spread over is unreasonably small IMHO, and the x-shape configuration gives the amas a lot of leverage against the relatively small area the mounting points are spread over.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

ScotiaSailor

hope he put in some cotter pins before he left!!
1983 Seafarer 23'

AdriftAtSea

Going by the line in the photo, I doubt that the attachment points for the akas are even 3' x 3' in area... and the fact that those akas are x-shaped, means the amas have a lot more leverage than the attachment to the main hull does... first big set of waves and I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Vann is suddenly sailing a proa or monohull...

If the shrouds are lead to to the amas, as I suspect they are from other photos I've seen of the boat, if he loses an ama, he loses the rig as well.

Yes, I am aware that he's got a set of single tube struts running across the legs of the x-frame created by the akas to the main hull both fore and aft of the main connection point, one of which is clearly visible in the center right of the photo I posted, but since they're single tubes not the ladder construction of the akas, I doubt they'll add that much strength to the design.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Shipscarver

Remember the, Teiggnmouth Electron? Well, I guess I am getting old. 8)
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

CharlieJ

Strangely enough, Laura and I just last week rented the movie Deep Water. It's the story of Crowhurst and the first singlehand round the world race, won by Knox-Johnson. Has real footage from the boats, from the air of some of them sailing and interviews with several people involved, including Knox-Johnson ( funny) Crowhurst's widow and eldest son, and Montessirs wife. Also with Tetly who sailed a Victress trimaran which broke up due to his pushing too hard to try to beat ( supposedly ) Crowhurst. But he still was the first trimaran circumnavigator since he crossed his outbound track before he broke up..

Plus some SPECTACULAR footage of the seas in the southern ocean. And some footage showing Cape Horn ( closest I want to get by the way)

We found it on DVD at Blockbusters.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Shipscarver

Thanks for the DVD info. I remember the race and will get a copy as soon as possible.

AdriftAtSea

Update on TIN CAN's progress.

Vann left SFO and headed out... got out about 150 NM and needed to get towed 32 NM into Santa Cruz.  BTW, Santa Cruz is only 80 NM from SFO, so not quite sure why it took him 182 nm of travel to get there. 

Apparently, the akas were failing at the main hull... big surprise...

Wanted to make repairs by welding while tied up to the fuel dock, but couldn't get enough electricity there to power an arc welder.

Vann decided to return to SFO to make repairs there.  Got a tow out to sea from Vessel Assist, the same guys who towed him into the harbor the previous day from what I understand, and is expected back in SFO tomorrow.

There were photos on the Surfcity website and over at Sailing Anarchy.

From what I've read the conditions that caused the structural failure on the Tin Can included wave heights of up to 8' and winds of 10-15 knots.  :p
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Shipscarver

<<. . . Wanted to make repairs by welding while tied up to the fuel dock, but couldn't get enough electricity there to power an arc welder. >>

Figures.

AdriftAtSea

I bet the fuel dock's owner and insurance company are both glad they didn't have enough power there for him to make repairs. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran