transporting a boat over land??

Started by chris2998, November 23, 2008, 05:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris2998

do you know of any companys that will haul a sailboat on a trailer from one state to another, just want to see what cost are for if I don't buy a boat in my area.

Thanks
Chris

thistlecap

Dear Chris,
I can't claim a lot of experience here.  I've only done it three times, but I'll throw out what I have learned for what good it is.  Sometimes the hauler will use your deck hardware for securing the load.  Make sure it's up to it.  Make sure he's properly and adequately insured for your boat, not just himself.  You can ask to speak with his provider or get a copy of provisions on cargo insurance.  Check on add-on charges---that breakdowns, weather, etc. aren't being charged to you.  If you have to have to boat taken off with a crane or travellife, logistics will be a big deal, and they're your responsibility.  You will be charged if either the crane operator or hauler are detained because of delays caused by you or the other party.  If using a crane, make sure what the base charges are, and that you know your actual vessel weight and he's scheduling a crane of appropriate size.  They tend to under estimate sailboat weights.  If the crane he brings is too small, you will be charged for the overtime to correct the mistake by both the hauler and crane operator.  They will also need to know the set-out distance---how far it will be between where the boat will be set and where the center of his crane will be when he sets up.  The big one is scheduling.  If your job is far enough in the future that he can save some money, you will save as well.  If your boat is small enough he can schedule two boats on the same load, or schedule another job so he doesn't have to deadhead to or from your job it saves him time and fuel.  I hope there's something here to help.  Good day, Jim 

AdriftAtSea

Brownell Boat Transport is one of the bigger companies that do this sort of thing. 

Brownell Systems
7 INDUSTRIAL DRIVE
MATTAPOISETT, MA  02739
1-800-262-8428
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

liberty28

Our boat is currently in transit from northern Wisconsin to Punta Gorda, FL using http://greatlakesmarineservices.com/greatlakesmarine/greatlakesmarine_11.html. Total cost a little over $5K. They use Brownell trailers that don't require a crane to get the boat loaded up, but rather hydraulic "arms" to lift the boat into position. A very common quote is $4.50/mile, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on the boat, distance traveled, and whether he has another boat he can find at the other end so he doesn't need to deadhead.

Unless you're buying a boat that's landlocked, the easiest thing to do is to sail it to wherever you're going or just buy the boat where you want to be. Boat transport is not cheap!

Bill NH

You can get trucking quotes thru www.uship.com

I've used the service before and got several excellent bids for trucking a boat from FL to New England.  I actually went with one of these companies and got fantastic service door to door for $1k less than northeast companies were quoting.

Worth a look anyhow, as there's no obligation...
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

dnice

Depending on what size boat you get, and if you have access to a capable truck...
the guys at sailtrailers in GA have very reasonable rental prices on trailers for boats up to (and around) 30ft.

chris2998

Thanks guys yeah I don't plan on buying a boat for at least another year but just want to look into all this before I do anything. Thought it would probally be best to find a boat around me or in Florida and have someone else sail it to me be obviously I couldn't take that much time off to bring it here. just came across a westsail 32 near me it's a shame they want way to much for it but sure is a dam nice boat. I like it alot. I'm almost affraid to buy any kinda sailboat around me because of hurricane Katrina 3 years ago. Sure will look into these sites thanks alot guys like i said having someone sail it to me is probally the best thing but I may have to have one transported we'll just have to see.

WOW after reading Brownwells system that is pretty dang cool they can bring a sailboat to your home and off load it at your house and they sell the stands that is sweet there trailers sound like the way to go. I only wonder would they come all the way to Louisiana

Thanks a bunch
Chris