Started by Zen, December 22, 2005, 11:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

I came acros this on a couple of Olson 25's trip to Hawaii from San Fransico

http://www.olson25.org/stories.shtml
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

starcrest

NEVER MIND SAILING THERE.I KNOW OF A KID THAT DID IT IN A 16 FOOTER.ITS THE WAY BACK THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE.I TELL YOU FROM FIRST HAND KNOWLEGE THAT IT REALLY TAKES A FOOT PER FOOT HEAVY  DISPLACEMENT TYPE HULL.THAT FIRST 600 MILES  NORTH IS NOT PLEASANT AT ALL.ALSO GOING TO HAWAII FROM  'FRISCO TAKES LESS TIME 'CUZ  ITS  ABOUT 2-300 MILES CLOSER.CHECK THE CONCENTRIC DISTANCE CIRCLES ON THE "PACIFIC YACHT RACES CHART."I EVEN RECALL READING AN ARTICLE IN  LATTITUDE 38 ABOUT A GUY THAT MODIFIED AN INFLATABLE BOAT AND SAILED THAT THERE TOO.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Zen

These guys sailed there and took a plane back, and had the boats shipped back...

So having done the trip back thing, would you say that it would be easier, in terms of fighting the flow, once in Hawaii just keep going all the way around and come back up from Mexico?

Or is it just the first 600miles north from Hawaii that is the bear?

If I sound green, it is becasue I am.  :D

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

Eric's post's that followed on developing electric propulsion deserved a thread all their own for discussion.

Quotecoming up from mexico is even worse.I have never done it but it requires a very powerful engine with range.its only the first 600 miles north from hawaii or so until you get out of the intertropical convergance zone.then  a moter of even slight power is really all you need as the wind and current is virtually nil.even aboat like ours only needs a 3 or 4 hp motor to move it some what.one of the things Ilearned from drifting 10 days altogether on that first return was patience.even the slightest wind to move at the slowest possible pace is a wellcome relief from utter silence and stillness of doldrums.the a-4 was removed before I aquired this boat(I had them remove it) and I am going to experiment with a portable diesel generator and the electric motor from a table saw.during a recent power outage here in florida due to the storms,some one here had a 4kw portable generator(diesel powerd)and it ran 2 10 inch table saws simultaineously.after seeing the power these saws have I got to wondering....what about removing the powerhead from a dead outboard .....putting this moter from the saw.....now wait a minute....that generator ran TWO tablesaws.........now I am thinking TWIN SCREWS>>>>>

They are in a new thread Eric's electric propulsion idea <=== poke here.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Jack Tar

The slog from Mexico north is the worst. Best bet out of Hawaii is to head to Washington, Oregon or Frisco.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom