Really Odd Boat. Any thoughts?

Started by tomwatt, July 09, 2010, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwatt

First, I'd like to make clear that I'm not interested in mocking the seller, or making fun of the builder... it's just that I find myself looking at this and thinking "what on earth?"
Here's this ad on eBay, for a wooden sailboat (lots and lots of nice mahogany it appears) for sale, unfinished.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOODEN-SAILBOAT-HULL-40-X-14-BOAT-NEEDS-COMPLETION-/160452197302?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Sailboats&hash=item255bb23bb6
And I look at this and think? It looks like a hull for a Klingon warship from Star Trek.
Does anyone know if this is based on anything you've ever seen in the water before?

The seller states in response to a query:
QuoteQ: Hi, what plans/designs were you using for this boat?
A: My husband built it from his own plans. He was no graphic artist. However, he was a true sailboat enthusiast and builder - of many wood things.
Aside from the value of the wood, I don't see how one would make this into anything sailable. But then I'm not a naval architect.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

maxiSwede

Quote from: tomwatt on July 09, 2010, 10:57:09 AM
First, I'd like to make clear that I'm not interested in mocking the seller, or making fun of the builder... it's just that I find myself looking at this and thinking "what on earth?"
Here's this ad on eBay, for a wooden sailboat (lots and lots of nice mahogany it appears) for sale, unfinished.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOODEN-SAILBOAT-HULL-40-X-14-BOAT-NEEDS-COMPLETION-/160452197302?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Sailboats&hash=item255bb23bb6
And I look at this and think? It looks like a hull for a Klingon warship from Star Trek.
Does anyone know if this is based on anything you've ever seen in the water before?

The seller states in response to a query:
QuoteQ: Hi, what plans/designs were you using for this boat?
A: My husband built it from his own plans. He was no graphic artist. However, he was a true sailboat enthusiast and builder - of many wood things.
Aside from the value of the wood, I don't see how one would make this into anything sailable. But then I'm not a naval architect.

A Ray?   ??? ::) 8)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

tomwatt

Yes, it does resemble a ray.
I can't see how it couldn't end up with a tremendous amount of excess wetted surface, unless that wide overhang was not supposed to touch the water... except that it's going to be a bear when that thing heels.
I dunno.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.